Research & Publications
Dr. Mowafi's interests are in developing the science and practice of emergency care with emphasis on low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) where the burden of emergency conditions is greatest is combined with an unmet need for emergency services.
His research interests include analysis of global emergency care systems; evaluating the burden of injury in LMICs and addressing health and human security in humanitarian emergencies. He has 15 years of experience in consulting and research in emergency medicine and global public health.
Dr. Mowafi's current research includes evaluation of health data from a network of hospitals operating inside war-affected Syria; modeling household income effects of road traffic injury in rural Uganda; and evaluating Chief Complaint as a measure of emergency care in low-resource settings globally.
Dr. Mowafi is an Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine and Chief of the Section of Global Health and International Emergency Medicine. He also serves as the Director of the GHIEM Fellowship.
Education & Training
- MPHHarvard School of Public Health (2006)
- MDUniversity of Virginia School of Medicine (2002)
- BSDuke University, Biomedical Engineering (1997)
- InternshipVirginia Commonwealth University School of Med., Medical College
- ResidencyVirginia Commonwealth University
- Board CertificationAB of Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine (2006, recertified: 2017)
- Chief Complaint - Global LMICCape Town, South Africa 2015
- Uganda RTA researchMasaka, Uganda 2015
- Uganda Chief Complaint ResearchNyakibale, Uganda 2015
- AFCEM 2016Cairo, Egypt 2014
- Syria War Trauma ResearchAleppo, Syria; Gaziantep, Turkey 2013
- Clinical WorkNew Haven, United States 2013
- Global Health and International Emergency Medicine FellowshipLondon, United Kingdom 2013
- EM research and development in EgyptCairo, Egypt 2013
- Trauma research Lusaka ZambiaLusaka, Zambia 2012
- Disaster Risk Reduction - IranTehran, Iran 2011
Honors & Recognition
|Fellow||American College of Emergency Physicians||2006|
|Fellow||American Academy of Emegency Medicine||2005|
|African Federation for Emergency Medicine||Member||2013 - Present|
|American College of Emergency Physicians||Steering Committee||2002 - Present|
|Society for Academic Emergency Medicine||Steering Committee 2013 SAEM Consensus Conference "Global Health and Emergency Care: A Research Agenda"||2002 - Present|