Research & Publications
Hani Mowafi, MD, MPH is an Associate Professor, Chief of the Section of Global Health in the Department of Emergency Medicine and he serves as the Director of the Yale-London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Fellowship in Global Health and International Emergency Medicine. Dr. Mowafi's work focuses on developing the science and practice of emergency care with emphasis on low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) where the burden of emergency conditions is highest and where there is a large unmet need for emergency care.
Internationally known for his work on emergency and trauma care in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), Dr. Mowafi has extensive experience conducting training, research, and program development in the Middle East and Africa. He has served as an expert consultant for the United Nations High Commissioner on Refugees, the World Bank and the World Health Organization where he is currently an Emergency Care Consultant for the WHO's Global Emergency and Trauma Care Initiative. He is the Co-Director of the NIH-funded Middle East and North Africa Program for Advanced Injury Research (MENA PAIR) - a partnership between Yale University and the American University of Beirut.
Dr. Mowafi has served on scientific review panels for both global injury and humanitarian research including the National Institutes of Health Research (UK), and Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises (UK). He serves as the Associate Editor for Trauma for BMC Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Mowafi's research interests are assessing the health burden and impacts of trauma and injury in LMICs; health and human security in humanitarian emergencies; and developing metrics for global emergency care. Dr. Mowafi has a long track record mentoring junior investigators and practitioners in global health careers including trainees in the United States, East Africa and the Middle East.
Dr. Mowafi has been recognized for his leadership and serves on the International Committee of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), previously as the Chair of the ACEP International Section, and Chair of the of the Global Emergency Medicine Fellowship Consortium. In 2017 he was awarded the Humanitarian Service Award from the Global Emergency Medicine Academy of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine in recognition of his work studying and mitigating the impacts of humanitarian crises around the world.
Education & Training
- MPHHarvard School of Public Health (2006)
- ResidencyVirginia Commonwealth University (2005)
- MDUniversity of Virginia School of Medicine (2002)
- BSDuke University, Biomedical Engineering (1997)
- InternshipVirginia Commonwealth University School of Med., Medical College
- WHO Emergency Care - Global Emergency Care and Trauma InitiativeGeneva, Switzerland; Cairo, Egypt; Tunis, Tunisia 2019
- American Friends of AFEMNew Haven, United States 2019Board Member, American Friends of the African Federation for Emergency Medicine
- Chief Complaint - Global LMICCape Town, South Africa 2015
- Uganda RTA researchMasaka, Uganda 2015
- Uganda Chief Complaint ResearchNyakibale, Uganda 2015
- Syria War Trauma ResearchAleppo, Syria; Gaziantep, Turkey 2013
- Clinical WorkNew Haven, United States 2013
- Global Health and International Emergency Medicine FellowshipLondon, United Kingdom 2013
- EM research and development in EgyptCairo, Egypt 2013
- Trauma research Lusaka ZambiaLusaka, Zambia (2012-2014)
- Disaster Risk Reduction - IranTehran, Iran (2011-2015)
Honors & Recognition
|Fellow||American College of Emergency Physicians||2006|
|Fellow||American Academy of Emergency Medicine||2005|
|National Institute of Health Research-UK (NIHR)||Grant Reviewer||2020 - 2021|
|American College of Emergency Physicians||Committee Member||2018 - Present|
|BMC Emergency Medicine||Associate Editor||2016 - Present|
|African Conference on Emergency Medicine, Cairo November 2016||Co-Chair||2014 - 2016|
|Research Workshop, African Conference on Emergency Medicine 2014||Chair||2013 - 2014|
|African Federation for Emergency Medicine||Member||2013 - Present|
|Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises||Grant Reviewer||2013 - 2018|
|Society for Academic Emergency Medicine||Steering Committee 2013 SAEM Consensus Conference "Global Health and Emergency Care: A Research Agenda"||2012 - 2013|
|American College of Emergency Physicians||ACEP International Section||2002 - Present|
|Society for Academic Emergency Medicine||Member||2002 - Present|