Research & Publications
Dr. Cone is a past president of the National Association of EMS Physicians, having served on that organization’s board of directors from 1996 through 2010. He is also the editor-in-chief of NAEMSP’s textbook Emergency Medical Services: Clinical Practice and Systems Oversight. He served as project leader for NAEMSP's work in securing subspecialty recognition for EMS from ABMS and ACGME, awarded in September 2010.
He served as editor-in-chief of Academic Emergency Medicine, the journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, from 2009 to 2015. He is also an active peer reviewer for Annals of Emergency Medicine, JAMA, Resuscitation, Circulation, and Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. Dr. Cone is an active researcher, focusing on EMS systems.
Operationally, Dr. Cone is the dispatch medical director for the Yale New Haven Hospital Center for EMS, which provides medical oversight for 330 paramedics and 700 EMTs working for 25 EMS agencies in the twelve-town greater New Haven area. He is also the Regional EMS Medical Director for the South-Central region of Connecticut, as well as chief of the Sponsor Hospital Area Response Physician (SHARP) Team, the only state-certified physician response team in Connecticut. He is currently chief of the North Madison Volunteer Fire Company.
A graduate of the European Master in Disaster Medicine program, he founded the “Public Health Management of Disasters” course at Yale's public health school, and directed it for six years.
Education & Training
- MDCollege of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia Univ (1991)
- FellowMedical College of Pennsylvania
- ResidentMedical College of Pennsylvania
- Board CertificationAB of Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medical Services (2013)
- Board CertificationAB of Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine (1995, recertified: 2016)
- European Master in Disaster MedicineNovara, Italy (2004-2005)European Master in Disaster Medicine
|Society for Academic Emergency Medicine||Editor||2009 - Present|