Short Term Research
This funding is available to 3rd, 4th and 5th year medical students. Short term research stipends are awarded in the amount of $2,153 / month as of January 27, 2021. The funding for short-term research is competitive, and students must apply for a minimum of four consecutive weeks and a maximum of twelve consecutive weeks in any given period. Students must apply prior to the start of their research. No electives, clerkships or vacations may be taken during the research period you are applying for. Students will not be reimbursed for research that was done prior to an application period which was not pre-approved by the Office of Student Research.
Please note that students in their fourth year are not eligible for the short-term research stipend while participating in the capstone project.
Applications for short term research fellowships are available electronically for download below. If you have difficulty downloading an application, please contact Donna Carranzo at email@example.com or 203-785-6633.
Please note that after the approval and signature of the faculty sponsor and department chair, the student is responsible for getting the short term funding application to Kelly Jo Carlson, firstname.lastname@example.org, in the Office of Student Research by the deadline.
The Yale Center for International and Professional Experience keeps a searchable database of Fellowships and Funding.
Listed below are links for additional sources of funding for summer and short term research. It is important that you read the requirements carefully for each fellowship, as they have different eligibility requirements and deadlines. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are planning to apply for short term fellowships from funding sources outside of Yale, please contact Donna Carranzo at email@example.com, as there may be additional forms required by Yale's Office of Sponsored Projects that need to be completed before an application can be submitted to the funding agency.
- Gold Student Summer Fellowship
Medical Student Training in Aging Research (MSTAR) Program
Cancer in the Under-Privileged, Indigent or Disadvantaged - The Summer Translational Oncology Program at Johns Hopkins (CUPID)
Jeanne Spurlock Minority Medical Student Research Fellowships in Substance Abuse and Addiction
- Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship Program
- Medical Student Research Program in Diabetes and Obesity
- Medical Students' Sustained Training and Research Experience in Aging and Mental Health (M-STREAM) Program for Summer Research
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Summer Fellowship Program
- Society of Nucelar Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- Summer Medical Student Fellowships in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- University of Maryland School of Medicine's SPORT Program
To complete the application form electronically, download the PDF file and open it using Adobe Acrobat. Further instructions are available within the document itself.
Alternatively, download and print the application document using Acrobat Reader for PDF files or Microsoft Word for DOC files (Windows only). Fill out the printed application using a type-writer, word processor, or by printing neatly.
2020-2021 Academic Year
- August 7, 2020 (Research Sept., Oct, Nov.)
- November 6, 2020 (Research Dec., Jan., Feb.)
- February 5, 2021 (Research March, Apr., May)
- May 7, 2021 (Research June, July, August)
2021-2022 Academic Year
- August 6, 2021 (Research Sept., Oct, Nov.)
- November 5, 2021 (Research Dec., Jan., Feb.)
- February 4, 2022 (Research March, Apr., May)
- May 6, 2022 (Research June, July, August)