Flexible program designed to provide an in-depth exposure to urology specialty areas. Student must have at least 6 months of prior clinical training. The sub intern will be a part of the urologic team and participate actively in the clinic, the OR, and on rounds. The urology sub internship at Yale will provide an in-depth view of the various sub-specialties within urology including uro-oncology, minimally invasive (laparoscopic) urology, endo-urology, neuro-urology, female urology and pediatric urology.
Length of Rotation: 4 weeks (maximum-2 students)
Scheduling Restriction: N/A
Student's Class Level: 3rd, 4th, 5th year
Accept Visiting Students: yes (course offered at VA, if requested by student). Visiting students must be 3rd, 4th, or 5th year of Medical School; International students must have completed USMLE 1&2 and a minimum three years of Medical School.
1. History skills. Gather the important information that is needed for the general Urologic history and complete a history in the medical record for at least 15+ patients.
2. Physical examination skills. Be able to perform a thorough and comprehensive Urologic physical exam. The student should demonstrate the ability to perform this pertinent physical examination while being observed by at least one attending or
3. Knowledge/diagnostic and treatment skills: Know about common urologic conditions requiring outpatient and inpatient care and the general principles of how to manage such conditions. Understand operative techniques and principles. Understand
what interventional options are available and the pros and cons of each.
4. Attitude: Demonstrate professional responsibility in working as a team member with all members of the multidisciplinary care team, patients and families.
5. Career/context: Know the training/career pathway for Urology.