Research & Publications
Translational Musculoskeletal Research Programs (Tompkin 5 Orthopedic Translational Research Laboratory; Research Programs are supported by NIH andother research funding.)
- Minimally Invasive Procedure for Metastatic Cancers to Bone; Ablation (Radiofreuqency, Microwave, Cryoablation); Percutaneous Cementoplasty; Spine, Pelvis, and Acetabular Fractures
- Bone Inflammation: Biomaterials-Bone Interface Biology: Bio-implant related inflammation
- Breast Cancer-Bone Interactions: Cancer-induced bone loss, Molecular imaging
- Bone-Bacteria Interactions: Enhanced control of bone infection, Bone implant infection
- Osteoclastogenesis; Novel regulators of osteoclastogenesis
- Stem Cell, Tissue Engineering, Fracture Healing, and Tendon Regeneration
- Fracture Healing
- Bone Resorption
- Orthopedic Translational Research
- Bone Metastasis
- ERK Signaling in Inflammatory Bone Loss, NIH/NIAMS R01, PI: Francis Lee
- Modification of Bone Grafts for Orthopaedic Procedures, NIH/NIAMS R01, PI: Francis Lee
- Bone and Breast Cancer Molecular Interactions, NIH/NCI R01, PI: Francis Lee
- Mechanobiological mechanism for inflammatory bone loss, NIH/NIBIB R01, PI: Francis Lee
- Bio-Logical Modification of Structural Bone Allografts, Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation, PI: Francis Lee
- Inflammation in Rotator Cuff Tear and Repair, NIH/NIAMS K08, PI: David Kovacevic, Mentor: Francis Lee
Extensive Research Description
Metastatic Cancers to Bone, Pathological Fractures, Minimally Invasive Reconstruction of Pathological Fractures, AORIF (Ablation - Osteoplasty - Reinforcement - Internal Fixation)
Tissue Engineering, Bone Regeneration, Fracture Healing (Diabetes, Chronic Smoking, Infection), Bone Inflammation, Bone Infection, Cancer-Induced Bone Loss
Please refer to NIH RePorter on Descriptions of NIH-funded Research Programs.
My research group is committed to engaging undergraduate students, Yale medical students for Thesis, M.D.-Ph.D. Students, other graduate students, and visiting fellows for research opportunities and career advancement. For inquires, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon in active clinical practice and a Scientist fostering research experience for future clinician scholars and clinically relevant translational research scientists. I focus on high impact orthopaedic research that is directly relevant to pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of Orthopaedic disorders.
Bone and Bones; Bone Diseases, Infectious; Bone Marrow; Fracture Fixation; Musculoskeletal Diseases; Orthopedics; Osteoarthritis; Osteoblasts; Osteoclasts; Stem Cells; Oncology Service, Hospital; Tissue Engineering
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis: the promise and the practiceJia Ng, Christopher B. Little, Susan Woods, Samuel Whittle, Francis Y. Lee, Siddhartha Mukherjee, David J. Hunter, Daniel L Worthley. Stem Cells (Accepted)
- Excisional Curettage of Benign Cystic LesionsJournal of Bone Joint Surg Am. Essential Surgical Techniques: July-September 2019 - Volume 9 - Issue 3 - p e24 doi: 10.2106/JBJS.ST.18.00036
- Rotation Tibio-Pelvic Arthroplasty for a recalcitrant infectionSean Cahill, Kristin Yu, Christopher Dusik, Francis Y. Lee. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Case Connector, 2019
- Section 8 – Orthopaedic Oncology. Section Editor: Francis Y. Lee, M.D., Ph.D.* Chapter 41: Metastatic Cancers to Bone: An Overview and Cancer-Induced Bone Loss. Izuchuku Ibe,,, Francis Y. Lee, M.D., Ph.D.*American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 68: ISBN/ISSN 9781975120863 Publication Date, February 27, 2019
- Chapter 42: Pharmacologic and Radiation Therapies for Cancer-Induced Bone Loss. Izuchuku Ibe,,, Francis Y. Lee, M.D., Ph.D.*American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 68: ISBN/ISSN 9781975120863 Publication Date, February 27, 2019
- Chapter 47: Femoral and Tibial Reconstruction for Skeletal Metastases and Pathological Fractures. Izuchuku Ibe,,, Francis Y. Lee, M.D., Ph.D.*American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 68: ISBN/ISSN 9781975120863 Publication Date, February 27, 2019
- Chapter 48: Bone Tumors and Reconstructive Options in Pediatric and Young Adult Patients. Izuchuku Ibe M.D., , Francis Y. Lee, M.D., Ph.D., Dieter Lindskog, M.D.*American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 68: ISBN/ISSN 9781975120863 Publication Date, February 27, 2019
- Targeted Therapies in Sarcomas6. Ibe, Izuchukwu; Haynes, Monique; Koo, Andrew; Lindskog, Dieter; Friedlaender, Gary E.; Lee, Francis Y. Techniques in Orthopaedics, 33(3):135-139, September, 2019.
- Immunooncology in SarcomaIbe, Izuchukwu; Sahlstrom, Adam; Nguyen, Minh N.; Lindskog, Dieter; Friedlaender, Gary E.; Lee, Francis Y. Techniques in Orthopaedics, 33(3):140-147, September, 2019.
- Additive manufacturing of hydrogel-based materials for next-generation implantable medical devices.Sau Yin Chin, Yukkee Cheung Poh, Anne-Céline Kohler, Jocelyn T. Compton, Lauren L. Hsu, Kathryn M. Lau, Sohyun Kim, Benjamin W. Lee, Francis Y. Lee, Samuel K. Science Robotics. 04 Jan 2017: Vol. 2, Issue 2, eaah645.
- Whole grape alleviates inflammatory arthritis through inhibition of tumor necrosis factor.Journal of Functional Foods, Volume 35: 458-465, 2017
- Please see NIH Format Biosketches (Selected out of 110 Publications)JBJS, JCI, Cell, JOR, and others
- 3D printing for regenerative medicine: From bench to bedside.Juan Li, Ling He, Chen Zhou, Yue Zhou, Hanying Bai, Francis Y. Lee, Jeremy Mao. Materials Research Society Bulletin, 2015 Feb, Vol. 40: 145-154.