Naming Conventions & Guidelines
Clinical Center Criteria
- Multiple Departments
- Must include at least two different departments at a minimum ALTHOUGH
- One or more of the partners may be research, rather than clinically focused BUT
- Multiple sections within a single department do not qualify
- Dedicated Faculty
- Primary appointments must be in different departments AND
- No single department can account for more than 60% of all the faculty in the center
- In the case of just two departments, the split does not have to be an even 50/50 but it should also not be higher (e.g. 70/30: 7 internal medicine docs and only 3 pediatrics). If it were 3 or more partners, no one department should have a preponderance of their faculty (e.g. 60/30/10 or 60/20/20, etc.) making up the total.
- Distinct Location
- Must have a dedicated physical location BUT
- Location may be co-located or overlap with other entities
- Chair Approval
Current Exceptions to these Rules:
- Nationally recognized Center of Excellence (e.g. Stroke Center)
- Designated a Specialty Care Center (e.g. Fetal Care Center)
- Designated a Collaborative Center (e.g. Yale Cancer Center)
- Entity is a YNHHS-based organization and/or is co-branded with YNHHS (e.g. Children's Heart Center)
Clinical Program Criteria
- Initiatives that further one or more of the YSM three core missions/business areas (research, education, clinical practice) is a program.
- It may be associated with one or more departments.
- What were formally referred to as services, clinics, unapproved centers, and/or units are now called programs.
Research Center Criteria
- Must include at least two different disciplines at a minimum
- Research Synergies:
- Joint projects, grants, and/or publications
University Provost’s Named Academic Entity Policy
- Defined purpose; reliable funding; leadership, governance, and succession plan; physical space (or explanation if virtual)
- Chair, Deputy Dean, and Provost Approval