Refinement and Validation of the RELATE Tool for Inclusive Classroom Observation
Funding Source: University of Delaware, Foundation for Child Development
Team Members: Tia Barnes, Melissa Stoffers, Chris Cipriano
To date, much work on developing and validating classroom observation measures has focused on general education classrooms with little to no focus on students with disabilities (SWDs). In recent years, there has been increased interest in observation protocols for classrooms serving students with disabilities.
The RELATE Tool was developed to fill the need for a valid classroom observation tool designed for capturing the social processes unique in self-contained special education classrooms (e.g., teacher-paraeducator interactions, accommodations, prevention and de-escalation of disruptive behavior). The RELATE Tool is part of a suite of resources offered and investigated through the RELATE Project.
For more information, please email Christina Cipriano or visit the Relate Project website.
- Cipriano, C., Rivers, S., & Bertoli, M. (2015) Mind the gap: Accountability, observation, and special education. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy, and Practice. 10.1080/0969594X.2015.1114913
- Cipriano, C., Barnes, T., Bertoli, M., Flynn, L., & Rivers, S. (2016). There is no “I” in team: Understanding teacher-paraeducator interactions in special education classrooms. Journal of Classroom Interactions, 51(2).
- Barnes, T. N., Cipriano, C., McCallops, K., Cuccini-Harmon, C., & Rivers, S. E. (2018) Examining the Relationship between Perceptions of Teaching Self-Efficacy, School Support, and Teachers’ and Paraeducators’ Burnout in a Residential School Setting. Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties. 10.1080/13632752.2018.1461452
- Barnes, T. Cipriano, C., Flynn, L., Rivers, S., & Xu, W. (2018). Validating the Recognizing Excellence in Learning and Teaching (RELATE) Tool for Special Education Classrooms. Journal of Experimental Education. 10.1080/00220973.2018.1465383
- Cipriano, C., Barnes, T., Bertoli, M., & Rivers, S. (2018). Applicability of the Classroom Assessment Scoring System in Special Education Classrooms Serving Students with Emotional Behavioral Disorders. Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties. 10.1080/13632752.2018.1461454.
- Cipriano, C., & Barnes, T. N. (2015). Class, interrupted: Reactionary practices are not best practices in education. Education Week, Issue 14.
- Barnes, T., Cipriano, C., Bertoli, M., Flynn, L., & Rivers, S. (2015). The Recognizing Excellence in Learning and Teaching (RELATE) Tool Classroom Observation Technical Manu
- Cipriano, C., Barnes, T., Bertoli, M., Flynn, L., & Rivers, S., (2015) The RELATE Classroom Observation Research Extension (CORE). Yale University.
- Barnes, T., Cipriano, C., Bertoli, M., Flynn, L., & Rivers, S. (2018). The Recognizing Excellence in Learning and Teaching (RELATE) Tool Classroom Observation Technical Manual. Yale University
- Barnes, T., Cipriano, C., Xia, Y. (In Press) Relating in the Self-Contained Classroom: Best Practices for Cultivating Effective Teacher-Paraprofessional Collaboration. Beyond Behavior.
- Cipriano, C., & Barnes, T. (Under Review). Observation of Special Education Classrooms by School Personnel. Learning Environment Research