Adolescent Psychiatry; Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity; Autistic Disorder; Child Psychiatry; Inpatients; Middle East; Pakistan; Psychiatry; Global Health
Dr. Azeem’s primary clinical and research interests include Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, child and adolescent psychiatry training, global mental health, and looking into innovative ways in reducing seclusions and restraints in inpatient child and adolescent settings.
Dr. Azeem is involved with various medical schools in his native country Pakistan regarding different research projects including examining comorbid disorders in children and adolescents with cognitive limitations and developmental disabilities, assessing the level of distress and risk for psychopathology among parents of children with cognitive limitations and looking at practices of various professionals regarding autism spectrum disorders. In addition, Dr. Azeem collaborates with psychiatry professionals in Pakistan and Middle East in improving child and adolescent mental health services.
Specialized Terms: Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Training, Global Mental Health, and looking in to innovative ways in reducing seclusions and restraints in inpatient child & adolescent psychiatry settings.
Successful seclusion and restraint prevention effort in child and adolescent programs.
Caldwell B, Albert C, Azeem MW, Beck S, Cocoros D, Cocoros T, Montes R, Reddy B. Successful seclusion and restraint prevention effort in child and adolescent programs. Journal Of Psychosocial Nursing And Mental Health Services 2014, 52:30-8.
Comparing stimulant effects in youth with ADHD symptoms and epilepsy.
Gonzalez-Heydrich J, Hsin O, Gumlak S, Kimball K, Rober A, Azeem MW, Hickory M, Mrakotsky C, Torres A, Mezzacappa E, Bourgeois B, Biederman J. Comparing stimulant effects in youth with ADHD symptoms and epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior : E&B 2014, 36:102-7.
- Paula Marie Smith, Bhagya Reddy, Muhammad Waqar Azeem (2014); Treating Depression in an adolescent with Intellectual Disability. JPPS; 11 (2): 39-41
- Helena Molero, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, Imran S. Khawja (2014); Overview and Management of Common Sleep Disorders in Children: A Review for Psychiatrists and Primary care Physcians. JPPS. 2014; 11 (2): 8-11
- Salma Malik, Charles Caley, Muhammad Waqar Azeem (2014); Psychopharmacogenomics: A New Tool for the Prescribing Physician. JPPS. 2014; 11 (2): 12-15
- Imran, Nazish, Azeem, Muhammad Waqar (2014). Autism Spectrum Disorder: Perspective from Pakistan. The Comprehensive Guide to Autism, Editors: Patel,VB, Martin, CR, Preedy, V, Springer Press New York, PP 2483-2496
- Imran Khawaja, MD, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, MD, Ayesha Ebrahim, Shehzad Niazi, MD (2014). Non-Pharmacological Management of Chronic Insomnia in Clinical Practice. J. Pak Psy Soc. 11(1): 31-35
- Irum Saddique, MBBS, Imtiaz Ahmad Dogar, MBBS, Salma Malik, MD, MS, Nighat Haider, Mphil, Samreen Afzal, MSc, Mohsin Cheema, MBBS, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, MD (2014). Frequency of Depression in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 in Pakistan. J. Pak Psy Soc. 11(1): 36-38
- Imran, Nazish, Azeem, Muhammad Waqar (2014). Child Psychiatry in Pakistan. AACAP News 45(1): 5-6
Anxiety and Depression among Parents of Children with Intellectual Disability in Pakistan.
Azeem MW, Dogar IA, Shah S, Cheema MA, Asmat A, Akbar M, Kousar S, Haider II. Anxiety and Depression among Parents of Children with Intellectual Disability in Pakistan. Journal Of The Canadian Academy Of Child And Adolescent Psychiatry = Journal De L'Academie Canadienne De Psychiatrie De L'enfant Et De L'adolescent 2013, 22:290-5.
Effectiveness of six core strategies based on trauma informed care in reducing seclusions and restraints at a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital.
Azeem MW, Aujla A, Rammerth M, Binsfeld G, Jones RB. Effectiveness of six core strategies based on trauma informed care in reducing seclusions and restraints at a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital. Journal Of Child And Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing : Official Publication Of The Association Of Child And Adolescent Psychiatric Nurses, Inc 2011, 24:11-5.
A survey of Autism knowledge and attitudes among the healthcare professionals in Lahore, Pakistan.
Imran N, Chaudry MR, Azeem MW, Bhatti MR, Choudhary ZI, Cheema MA. A survey of Autism knowledge and attitudes among the healthcare professionals in Lahore, Pakistan. BMC Pediatrics 2011, 11:107.
- Dogar, IA, Haider, N, Irfan, N, Ahmad, M, Azeem, MW (2010). Psychiatric Co-morbidity in Medical Patients. JPPS; 7(2): 91-96
- Dogar, IA, Azeem, Muhammad W, Kiran, M, Hussain, I, Mehmood, K, Hina, I (2009). Depression and Anxiety in Cancer Patients in Outpatient Department of a Tertiary Care Hospital in Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci; 25(5):734-737
- Realmuto, George M, Azeem, Muhammad W (2008). Autistic Disorder. The Medical Basis of Psychiatry (Third Edition), Editors: S.Fatemi, PJ Clayton, Humana Press, NJ, PP 355-373
Prevalence and risk factors for depression and anxiety in hospitalized cardiac patients in pakistan.
Dogar IA, Khawaja IS, Azeem MW, Awan H, Ayub A, Iqbal J, Thuras P. Prevalence and risk factors for depression and anxiety in hospitalized cardiac patients in pakistan. Psychiatry (Edgmont (Pa. : Township)) 2008, 5:38-41.
- Azeem, Muhammad W, Imran, Nazish (2007). Autism: Assessment and Management. P J Med Sci; 23(6): 970-978
Weight loss and anorexia with quetiapine.
Khawaja IS, Azeem MW, Ebrahim A. Weight loss and anorexia with quetiapine. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.) 2005, 56:490.