"Nurturing care in the early years ensures individuals and societies thrive." - Guiding message
Investing in early childhood development essential to helping more children and communities thrive, new Lancet Series finds 249 million children under five are at risk of not reaching developmental potential, implementing low-cost interventions could reverse this trend.
The World Bank Group is hosting a live-streamed global launch of the new Lancet Early Childhood Development Series on Oct 5th, 2016 from 2-4 pm EST at its annual summit of Economic Ministers who will convene from around the world. This year's theme will be "Investing in Early Childhood".
The Series consists of three major reviews, authored by global experts that include Yale faculty: Rafael Pérez-Escamilla (School of Public Health), James F. Leckman (Child Study Center) and Pia Rebello Britto (UNICEF, Child Study Center), who are involved in two of the reviews.
The 2016 Lancet Early Childhood Development Series highlights early childhood development at a time when it has been universally endorsed in the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. This Series considers new scientific evidence for interventions, building on the findings and recommendations of previous Lancet Series on child development (2007, 2011), and proposes pathways for implementation of early childhood development at scale in order to reach and support more families. Ongoing commitment to early childhood development is essential to building stronger, healthier individuals and societies.
How to Attend this Live Streamed Event | October 5, 2016 from 2-4:00 PM EST
- Tune in for the live streamed broadcast.
- RSVP to attend the Yale viewing at the Yale School of Public Health:
- Suite 200, Conference Room 202, 135 College St, New Haven CT 06510-2483
- RSVP Anjuli Bodyk, firstname.lastname@example.org
Presentation of the Series
- Professor Linda Richter – Series Author, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Dr. Stephen Lye – Series Author, University of Toronto
- Speakers include:
- Mr. Anthony Lake – Executive Director, UNICEF
- Dr. Flavia Bustreo – Assistant Director-General, World Health Organization
- Mr. Keith Hansen – Vice President of Human Development, World Bank Group
- Right Honorable Matia Kasaija – Uganda Minister of Finance, Planning and Economic Development
- Dr. Peter Laugharn – President and CEO Conrad H. Hilton Foundation
Coming in 2017: Yale Academic Launch of the New Lancet Early Childhood Development Series
As a member of the Series steering committee, Professor Pérez-Escamilla is leading the academic launch of the new Lancet series on Early Childhood Health and Development at Yale. Stanford and Yale have been selected to post launch the series from academia. Yale’s post launch will take tentatively take place during the last week of April 2017.