Mission & Vision
The mission of the Minding the Baby® (MTB) National Office is to strengthen families through an interdisciplinary program aimed at limiting the effects of chronic stress and enhancing both physical and mental health; and to train professionals implementing relationship-based reflective parenting programs worldwide.
Our vision is that all families will receive the support they need to promote optimal health and emotional well-being, and all children will feel safe, secure, and connected in their relationships.
The mission of the MTB home visiting model is to support reflective parenting, secure attachment, health, mental health, and maternal self-efficacy in young, vulnerable families using a relationship-based, interdisciplinary approach. The main goal of the MTB model is to help mothers “mind” their babies in both physical and emotional ways by promoting and enhancing the following:
- protective factors, skills, and strategies
- competent and flexible parenting
- psychological health in mother, child, and between mother and child
- the physical health and development of the child
- positive maternal life course outcomes
Together, the social worker and nurse practitioner promote a secure attachment and facilitate reflective parenting by providing strategies to:
- give voice to the baby’s experience (both physical and emotional)
- give voice to the mother’s experience of herself as a parent
- bring alive the mother’s positive feelings for the child
- develop the mother’s capacities to reflect and contemplate, especially in the face of difficult emotions