Commitment to Diversity
In order to meet the immense challenge of deciphering the complexity of biology, it is essential to harness the ideas of people of all backgrounds. However, we recognize that many groups have been historically marginalized in both society and science. We recognize these challenges and historical inequities and are committed to making our community welcoming to scholars and staff with diverse backgrounds.
Mission of the Committee
The Standing Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion seeks to reduce barriers in order to support all Department of Cell Biology members in the pursuit of their career goals. In particular, we recognize and seek to remove challenges faced by racial and ethnic minorities, women and gender minorities, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and first-generation and economically disadvantaged individuals. Through these efforts, we aim to build a system of ongoing positive change in order to create an environment that is welcoming to all.
Goals of the Committee:
- Support the recruitment and retention of diverse scientists to our department
- Increase the engagement of department members with URM communities
- Engage with other diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives at Yale
- Provide resources to support department members, especially those from under-represented groups
- Build a community so that all members of our department feel welcome and respected
- Increase outreach between department members and the greater New Haven community
The DEI committee welcomes input from all members of our departmental community and encourages individuals to contact us with suggestions, feedback or if they are looking for volunteering opportunities.