Skip to Main Content

Brewster wins 2021 American Society of Nephrology’s Distinguished Educator Award

June 15, 2021
by Amy Anderson

Ursula Brewster, MD, associate professor of medicine (nephrology) was presented with the 2021 American Society of Nephrology Distinguished Educator Award.

Brewster was in disbelief when she first learned she was the award recipient.

“Getting through this last year required a heroic team effort—and none of us in nephrology could have done it without each other,” Brewster said. “Educators bore a different sort of responsibility than some because we had the safety and education of our charges to juggle, on top of the clinical responsibilities of the pandemic. All the educators really relied on each other. So of all the years to win this award, this one is pretty meaningful.”

The honor is part of American Society of Nephrology (ASN) Lifetime and Midcareer Awards, and the Distinguished Educator Award highlights “those who have made substantial and meritorious contributions to clinical or research education in nephrology, to the education and training of trainees and junior faculty, and who have acquired special knowledge to stay informed of the latest advances in clinical care and research.”

After reading the description of ASN’s Distinguished Educator Award criteria, Lloyd G. Cantley, MD, C. N. H. Long Professor of Medicine (Nephrology); professor of cellular and molecular physiology; and vice chair of basic research in the Department of Internal Medicine decided to nominate Brewster.

“Dr. Brewster is one of the most dedicated fellowship directors that I have encountered in my career, and when I read the description of the award I felt like I was reading Dr. Brewster’s CV,” said Cantley. “She uses innovative approaches to keep our fellows and housestaff clinically engaged and excited to learn, while simultaneously stimulating their interest in research and making sure that they find the right career path. She has a national role in helping support and train more junior fellowship directors, while working with ASN leadership to set policy for fellowship programs across the country. She is indeed highly deserving of this award.”

Brewster has served as program director for the Nephrology Fellowship Program since 2014 succeeding Mark Perazella, MD, professor of medicine (nephrology). Prior to this role, she served as associate program director from 2006-2014. She has also been involved in the American Society of Nephrology in several capacities—as a member of the planning committee of the annual Nephrology Program Directors retreats, as well as a member of the Workforce and Training Committee, a group dedicated to working collaboratively to tackle those issues on a national level. Brewster is also on the Match Task-Force for the ASN, which adjudicates challenges to the All-In Match policy for fellowship. More locally, she is on the Academic Advisory board for the Yale Physician Assistant program and has given lectures in their annual nephrology course for several years.

“Most of us can all remember that brilliant nephrologist in medical school who was devoted to the education of the students and residents: teaching courses, sitting through reports, answering acid-base questions at all hours of the day and night. Every school has one. Being a part of that group nationally is such a privilege, and being singled out amongst them is incredibly humbling. I am very grateful to the ASN for this award, and to those who nominated me,” said Brewster.

Since 2014, Brewster’s focus has been on adapting the fellowship program to the new ACGME accreditation system, and expanding its reach into new arenas.

“Fellows arrive with very different aspirations and goals and I knew we should expand to support these new ideas,” she said.

Brewster partnered with faculty at Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda and worked with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) to create a global health rotation within the confines of the nephrology fellowship; the first of its kind. She expanded the didactic programs to include the Rastegar Physiology series, where peers teach peers renal physiology under the guidance of one of the department’s premier educators, Asghar Rastegar, MD. “Fellows continue to do very well when they leave Yale, most going on to academic affiliated jobs where they win teaching awards themselves with high frequency,” said Brewster.

In August 2020, Brewster partnered with Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Director Laura Morrison, MD, FAAHPM, FACP, to launch the combined Nephrology and Hospice & Palliative Medicine (HPM) fellowship program through ACGME’s Advancing Innovation in Residency Education (AIRE) program.

“Beyond Dr. Brewster’s exceptionally innovative and exemplary educational accomplishments which this award recognizes, it is noteworthy that she is a tireless advocate for the totality of the training experience of fellows at Yale and beyond. This genuine commitment to education, professional development and wellbeing elevates the training experience and fosters recognition of the strength and value of nephrology to the broader medical community,” remarked Nephrology section chief Stefan Somlo, MD, C. N. H. Long Professor of Medicine (Nephrology) and professor of genetics.

Reflecting on the past year, Brewster looks at her colleagues and the graduating class of fellows with pride. “For all in education, this last year through the pandemic has been our biggest challenge for sure. The fellows showed their incredible versatility, breadth of knowledge and grit through the worst of it. And all the while did it with camaraderie, meticulous medicine, and teamwork. There is nothing they can’t handle now.”

In addition, Brewster also is the firm chief of the Peters Medical Firm at Yale New Haven Hospital, where trainees care for renal patients on the inpatient service, as well as attend nephrology conferences. As a firm chief, Brewster oversees both the clinical and educational experiences, integrating quality of care, systems-based improvement and inter-professional care into the daily experiences of the Firm.

Getting through this last year required a heroic team effort—​and none of us in nephrology could have done it without each other. Educators bore a different sort of responsibility than some because we had the safety and education of our charges to juggle, on top of the clinical responsibilities of the pandemic. All the educators really relied on each other. So of all the years to win this award, this one is pretty meaningful.

Ursula Brewster, MD

“Educating the next generation of leaders in nephrology has always been the mission of Yale’s Section of Nephrology. Being a part of that purpose has been so important to me, both locally and nationally,” said Brewster.

As general nephrologist, Brewster sees patients with chronic kidney disease, electrolyte disturbances, as well as end-stage kidney disease. Her subspecialized interest is in the care of pregnant women with underlying kidney disease or hypertension, where she works closely with faculty in the Maternal Fetal Medicine Department. She has worked with fellows on countless manuscripts, ranging from pregnancy related subject matter, to more general nephrology topics.

“I keep learning every single day in this job—both as a clinician and an educator.”

Yale’s Section of Nephrology is committed to excellence in patient care, research, and education with the goal for both their faculty and trainees to be national and international leaders in the field of academic nephrology. To learn more about their mission and work, visit Nephrology.

Submitted by Amy Anderson on June 15, 2021