Research & Publications
John MacMicking is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Investigator. He trained in synthetic organic chemistry at the Australian National University (B.Sc, 1st Class Honors) where he conducted thesis work in the Department of Immunology & Cell Biology formerly headed by 1996 Nobel Laureate, Peter Doherty, at the the John Curtin School of Medical Research.
He then came to the U.S. to pursue Ph.D studies with Carl Nathan in the Immunology program at Cornell University-Sloan-Kettering Institute in New York City before being selected as an HHMI Life Science Research Foundation Fellow at The Rockefeller University to conduct studies with John Mckinney.
His doctoral dissertation described the first knockout of an innate immune gene in mammals - inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) - genetically engineered between 1992-1995. It served as an early paradigm for cell-autonomous immunity to infection. At Rockefeller University he computationally identified, physically mapped and began functionally characterizing a complete IFN-inducible GTPase superfamily in humans and mice as a new defense network operating against all pathogen classes. For these discoveries he has been named a Edward Mallinckrodt Jr Foundation Fellow (2004), Searle Scholar (2005), Cancer Research Institute Investigator (2006), Burroughs-Wellcome Fund Investigator (2008), CCFA Senior Research Awardee (2010), AAF Scholar (2014) and Kenneth Rainin Foundation Innovator (2014).
Dr. MacMicking was promoted to Associate Professor in 2010 and received Tenure in 2014. He was chosen as an HHMI Investigator in 2015 before moving to the Yale Systems Biology Institute in 2017.
Education & Training
- PhDCornell University (1997)
- BSAustralian National Univ (1990)
- Assistant Professor (Adjunct)The Rockefeller University
- Research AssociateThe Rockefeller University
- HHMI LSRF FellowThe Rockefeller University
- Revson Biomedical FellowThe Rockefeller University
- German Research Foundation (DFG)Bonn, Germany 2013International Reviewer, Life Sciences 2 Programme
- French National Research Agency (ANR)Paris, France 2012International Reviewer, Programme Blanc International
- Health Research Board of Ireland (HRB)Dublin, Ireland 2011International Reviewer, Translational Medicine Fellowships Programme
- European Research Council (ERC)Brussels, Belgium 2011International Reviewer, European Union 7th Research Framework Advanced Grants Programme (FP7)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)London, United Kingdom 2009International Reviewer, Strategic Grants Programme
Honors & Recognition
|Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Investigator||2015|
|Innovator Award, Kenneth Rainin Foundation||2014|
|American Asthma Foundation (AAF) Scholar||2014|
|Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) Senior Investigator Award||2010|
|Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) Investigator in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease Award||2008|
|Cancer Research Institute (CRI) Investigator Award||2006|
|Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation Fellow||2004|
|HHMI Life Science Research Foundation (LSRF) Fellow||The Rockefeller University||1998|
|Charles H. Revson Fellow in Biomedical Research||The Rockefeller University||1997|
|Distinguished Student Commencement Speaker Award||Cornell University-Sloan-Kettering Institute, New York, NY||1997|
|Cellular Microbiology||Editorial Board||2017 - Present|
|American Society of Microbiology||President and President-Elect, Immunology Division||2014 - 2016|
|NIAID, NIH||Standing member, Immunity and Host Defense (IHD) Study Section||2013 - 2015|