Each year, one or two residents have the opportunity to apply to the Clinical Scientist Track (CST). CST residents devote a portion of their training to a clinical or laboratory research project. A CST study can be completed during three to six months of the CA-3, or alternatively as 18 months of research over the CA-2 and CA-3 years, with an additional CA-4 year. These residents work closely with a faculty member in the Department who acts as their research mentor.
The CST program enables the resident to serve as a Principal Investigator in a study. Under the direction of a faculty member, the resident is expected to:
- Detail his/her plan in the application for the Clinical Scientist Track
- Participate actively in the design and performance of the study
- Analyze the data and educate him/herself in the statistical methods necessary to complete the project
- Prepare manuscripts for publication and abstracts for presentation before the Department and at national conferences
- Attend research seminars and discussions in an effort to broaden her/his research experience