CommitteesFellows are invited and encouraged to participate in departmental committees. Some of the committees we offer include:
- The Morbidity and Mortality Committee, which reviews complications, presents cases for discussion and develops plans for quality improvement;
- The Medical Student Education Committee, which helps develop curricula and programs for our medical student education program; and
- All other Anesthesia department committees.
Specialty WorkshopsSpecialty workshops are scheduled throughout the year. These include:
- The AirMan™ Simulator to teach fellows advanced airway techniques, such as the Fastrach LMA, fiberoptic bronchoscopy and retrograde intubation as well as critical decision making in airway management.
- The "Anatomic Basis of Regional Anesthesia" workshop, which uses cadaver dissection and multimedia presentation to correlate clinical procedures with the underlying anatomy.
- The "Pacemaker" workshop, which teaches fellows how to use modern pacemaker boxes and to place transvenous pacemakers.
Some members of our attending staff are active in charitable organizations, such as Interplast and Healing the Children. These organizations provide free medical and surgical care to people in developing nations. The attendings who provide anesthesia services during these missions may select one fellow to join them. This is an honor and a unique opportunity.
Many faculty within the Department of Anesthesiology participate in international humanitarian missions, providing surgical care to children and adults around the world. Many of our humanitarian missions have been led by Dr. Dorothy Gaal, one of our pediatric anesthesiology attendings. In the recent past, we have sent groups to Vietnam, Paraguay, China, Thailand and the Philippines.