Ralitza Gueorguieva PhD
Senior Research Scientist in Public Health (Biostatistics); Director of Biostatistics in Psychiatry (Psychiatry)
Dr. Gueorguieva obtained her Ph.D. in Statistics from University of Florida in 1999 and has been a faculty member of the Department of Biostatistics at Yale University School of Public Health since 2000. Her research interests are in methodological development of models for longitudinal data and outcomes of different types, assessment of risk and the application of innovative statistical approaches for clinical trials data. She has developed statistical techniques for simultaneous analysis of repeatedly measured categorical and continuous outcomes, has developed risk assessment screening algorithms and has applied trajectory-based approaches to the assessment of treatment effects. Dr. Gueorguieva is collaborating extensively with psychiatric researchers on clinical trials and observational studies in alcoholism, substance abuse, depression and anxiety disorders, women's behavioral health, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder. She advocates the use of modern statistical methods such as mixed and mixture models, tree-based methods and nonparametric alternatives to address the complexity of psychiatric data.
- Teaching Biostatistics to Students
Sofia, Bulgaria(2013 - 2013)
Dr. Gueorguieva taught a course in biostatistics for participants in the M.Sc. program in Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics and provided mentorship to students at Sofia University.
- Family Association Study of Neurocognitive Impairment in Patients with Bipolar Disorder
Sofia, Bulgaria(2009 - 2009)
Dr. Gueorguieva provided statistical consultations to the project team.
- UNICEF Early Child Development Project
Bulgaria(2008 - 2008)
Dr. Gueorguieva provided guidance on statistical analyses to the national team of the Child Nutrition, Rearing and Parenting Practices study in Bulgaria.
- Research and Teaching
As an affiliated member of the Section of Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics, Dr. Gueorguieva has taught training courses, participated in seminars and research projects with Bulgarian scientists.
Education & Training
- Sofia University (1994)
- University of Florida (1996)
- University of Florida (1999)
Honors & Recognition
- Certificate of Appreciation for dedicated service and valuable contributions as one of the Top 10 Reviewers for Biological Psychiatry in 2007
Biological Psychiatry (2008)
- Certificate of Appreciation for dedicated service and valuable contributions as one of the Top 10 Reviewers for Biological Psychiatry in 2011.
Biological Psychiatry (2012)
- International Biometric Society's Eastern North American Region (ENAR) Student Award
- The Statistics Faculty Award for the Outstanding Senior Graduate Student, Department of Statistics, University of Florida
University of Florida (1998)
- First place, Student Abstract Competition, Annual Florida Epidemiology Meeting
- R. L. Anderson Student Paper Award, Southern Regional Conference on Statistics
- Member, International Program Committee for the International Biometrics Society Conference (07/31/2007 - 06/30/2008)
- Editorial Board Member, Biological Psychiatry (07/01/2007 - 06/30/2013)
- (01/01/2009 - 12/31/2009)
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (01/01/2007 - 12/31/2010)
- Publication Officer, Biometrics Section of the American Statistical Association (01/01/2007 - 12/31/2008)
- (01/01/2006 - 12/31/2006)
- (01/01/2006 - 12/31/2009)
- NIMH (01/01/2004 - 05/24/2013)