Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Epidemiology; Ethics; HIV; Human Rights; Public Health; Violence; Global Health; Infectious Disease Medicine; Diseases
Public Health Interests
Ethics; Global Health; Violence
Dr. Khoshnood is an infectious disease epidemiologist and his primary research interests are the epidemiology, prevention and control of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis among drug users, prisoners and other at risk populations in United States and in resource-poor countries. Dr. Khoshnood's other interests are the examination of the links between health and human rights, the role of health in international relations and the ethical dilemmas in research involving vulnerable populations. Dr. Khoshnood conducts research and mentors researchers from China, India, Russia, South Africa and Iran and teaches courses on HIV/AIDS, infectious disease and research ethics.
Specialized Terms: Infectious disease epidemiology
Extensive Research Description
Kaveh Khoshnood is an associate professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health. His research interests include the epidemiology, prevention and control of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis among drug users, prisoners and other at risk populations in the United States and in resource-poor countries. Dr. Khoshnood also studies the links between health and human rights, the role of health in international relations and the ethical dilemmas in research involving vulnerable populations. Dr. Khoshnood conducts research and mentors researchers in China, India, Russia, South Africa and Iran. He is an associate director of the Law, Policy and Ethics Core at the Yale Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS. Dr. Khoshnood is also the director of Global Health Fellowships and Internships at Yale University and is the program director of Global Health Studies and the Global Health Fellows Program at Yale College.
Dr. Khoshnood received his M.P.H. and Ph.D. from the Yale School of Public Health. He received the Teacher of the Year Award from the Yale School of Public Health and the Surgeon General’s Certificate of Appreciation. Dr. Khoshnood also served as a consultant for the Office of AIDS Research at the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Alison Norris, Ashley Jackson & Kaveh Khoshnood (2012): Exploring the Ethics of Observational Research: The Case of an HIV Study in Tanzania, AJOB Primary Research, 3:4, 30-39.
- Catherine S. Todd, David Macdonald, Kaveh Khoshnood, G. Farooq Mansoor, Mark Eggerman, Catherine Panter-Brick. Opiate use, treatment, and harm reduction in Afghanistan: Recent changes and future directions. International Journal of Drug Policy. Volume 23, Issue 5, Pages 341-345, September 2012.
- HIV/AIDS in the Middle East and North Africa: New study methods, results, and implications for prevention and care McFarland W. Abu-Raddad LJ, Mahfoud Z, DeJong J, Riedner G, Forsyth A, Khoshnood K. AIDS. 2010 Jul;24 Suppl 2:S1-4. doi: 10.1097/01.aids.0000386728.49059.92.
- Graber LK, Elansary M, Khoshnood K, and Rastegar A. Commentary: With So Much Need, Where Do I Serve? Virtual Mentor. 2010; 12:149-158.
- Provenzano AM, Khoshnood K. Caring for Patients in Low-Resource Settings. Virtual Mentor. 2010; 12:167-170.
- Heimer, R., Grau, L., Curtin, E., Khoshnood, K., and Singer, M. Assessment of HIV Testing of Urban Injection Drug Users: Implications for Expansion of HIV Testing and Prevention Efforts. American Journal of Public Health 97(1): 110-116, 2007.
- Hashemian, F., Khoshnood, K., Desai, M.M., Falahati, F., Kasl, S., and Southwick, S. Anxiety, Depression, and Posttraumatic Stress in Iranian Survivors of Chemical Warfare. Journal of the American Medical Association 296(5): 560-566, 2006.
- Razzaghi, E.M., Movaghar, A.R., Green, C.T., and Khoshnood, K. Profiles of Risk: A Qualitative Study of Injecting Drug Users in Tehran, Iran. Harm Reduction Journal 3: 12, 2006
- Khoshnood, K., Wilson, K.S., Filardo, G., Liu, Z., Keung, N.H., and Wu, Z. Assessing the Efficacy of a Voluntary HIV Counseling and Testing Intervention for Pregnant Women and Male Partners in Urumqi City, China. AIDS and Behavior 10(6): 619-762, 2006
- Khoshnood, K. The Regulation of Research by Funding Bodies: A Wake-up Call. International Journal of Drug Policy 17: 246-247, 2006
- Fry, R., Khoshnood, K., Vdoivochenko, E., Granskaya, J., Sazhin, V., Shpakovskaya, L., Zhemkov, V., Zhemkova, M., Rowhani-Rahbar, A., Funk, M., and Kozlov, A. Barriers to Completion of Tuberculosis Treatment Among Prisoners and Former Prisoners in St. Petersburg, Russia. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 9(9):1027-1033, 2005.
- Rahbar, R.A., Rooholamini, S., and Khoshnood, K. Prevalence of HIV Infection and Other Bloodborne Infections in Incarcerated and Non-Incarcerated Injection Drug Users (IDUs) in Mashhad, Iran. International Journal of Drug Policy 15: 151-155, 2004.
- Buchanan, D., Khoshnood, K., Stopka, T., Santelices, C., and Singer, M. Ethical Dilemmas Created by the Criminalization of Status Behaviors: Case Examples From Ethnographic Field Research with Injection Drug Users. Health Behavior and Education 29: 30-42, 2002