Air Pollution; Asthma; Environmental Health; Epidemiology; Otitis Media
Public Health Interests
Air Pollution; Asthma; Child health
Dr. Gent’s primary research focus is the effects of air pollution on childhood asthma. She is a co–investigator on studies specifically focused on exposure to traffic, a major source of air pollution in our region. These studies take advantage of the large data base of ambient air contaminants measured by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at central monitoring sites. Using this information as well as data collected by the research team at the CPPEE inside and outside of study subjects’ homes, Dr. Gent and her colleagues hope to contribute to the understanding of public health effects of short–term exposure to traffic–related air pollution.
Dr. Gent has served as a consultant for the EPA reviewing literature on the effects of nitrogen dioxide and particles on health. Her work for the EPA contributes to the production of their Integrated Science Assessments for these pollutants. This in turn is an important step in the regulatory process that leads to the setting of the National Air Quality Standards.
Dr. Gent is also a co–investigator with Melinda Pettigrew, Ph.D., School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, on a study of microbial interactions of pathogens involved in otitis media.
Specialized Terms: Air pollution; Childhood asthma
- Pettigrew MM, Gent JF, Kong Y, Wade M, Gansebom S, Bramley AM, Jain S, Arnold SL, McCullers JA. Association of sputum microbiota profiles with severity of community-acquired pneumonia in children. BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Jul 8;16:317. doi:10.1186/s12879-016-1670-4. PMCID: PMC4939047.
- Dannemiller KC, Gent JF, Leaderer BP, Peccia J. Indoor microbial communities: Influence on asthma severity in atopic and nonatopic children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016 Jul;138(1):76-83.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2015.11.027. Epub 2016 Feb 4.
- Pettigrew MM, Tsuji BT, Gent JF, Kong Y, Holden PN, Sethi S, Murphy TF. Effect of Fluoroquinolones and Macrolides on Eradication and Resistance of Haemophilus influenzae in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 Jun 20;60(7):4151-8. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00301-16. Print 2016 Jul. PMCID: PMC4914697. [Available on 2017-01-01]
- Dannemiller KC, Gent JF, Leaderer BP, Peccia J. Influence of housing characteristics on bacterial and fungal communities in homes of asthmatic children. Indoor Air. 2016 Apr;26(2):179-92. doi: 10.1111/ina.12205. Epub 2015 Apr 17. PMCID: PMC4591094. [Available on 2017-04-01]
- Gent JF, Kezik JM, Hill ME, McKay LA, Holford TR, Leaderer BP, Bracken MB. Asthma medication use during pregnancy, wheeze and exposure to ambient nitrogen dioxide. Eur Respir J. 2015 Feb;45(2):538-40. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00161514. PMCID: PMC4331059.
- Pettigrew MM, Marks LR, Kong Y, Gent JF, Roche-Hakansson H, Hakansson AP. Dynamic changes in the Streptococcus pneumoniae transcriptome during transition from biofilm formation to invasive disease upon influenza A virus infection. Infect Immun. 2014 Nov;82(11):4607-19. doi: 10.1128/IAl.02225-14. Epub 2014 Aug 18. PMCID: PMC4249342.
- Bell ML, Ebisu K, Leaderer BP, Gent JF, Lee HJ, Koutrakis P. Wang Y, Dominici F, Peng RD. Associations of PM2.5 Constituents and Sources with Hospital Admissions: Analysis of Four Counties in Connecticut and Massachusetts (USA) for Persons >= 65 Years of Age. Environ Health Perspect. 2014 Feb;122(2):138-44. PMCID:PMC3915260.
- Belanger K, Holford TR, Gent JF, Hill ME, Kezik JM, Leaderer BP. Household levels of nitrogen dioxide and pediatric asthma severity. Epidemiology. 2013 Mar; 24(2):320-30. PMCID: PMC3686297.
- Fu A, Leaderer BP, Gent JF, Leaderer D, Zhu Y. An environmental epigenetic study of ADRB2 S'-UTR methylation and childhood asthma severity. Clin Exp Allergy. 2012 Nov;42(11):1575-81. PMCID:PMC3673701
- Pettigrew MM, Laufer AS, Gent JF, Kong Y, Fennie KP, Metlay JP. Upper respiratory tract microbial communities, acute otitis media pathogens, and antibiotic use in healthy and sick children. Appl Environ Microbial. 2012 Sep; 78(17):6262-70. PMCID: PMC3416608
- Gent JF, Kezik JM, Hill ME, Tsai E, Li D-W, Leaderer BP. Household mold and dust allergens: Exposure, sensitization and childhood asthma morbidity. Environmental Research. 2012; 118:86-93.
- Bell ML, Belanger K, Ebisu K, Gent JF, Leaderer BP. Relationship between birth weight and exposure to airborne fine particulate potassium and titanium during gestation. Environ Res. 2012 Aug;l17:83-9. PMCID: PMC3418490
- Pettigrew MM, Gent JF, Pyles RB, Miller AL, Nokso-Koivisto J, Chonmaitree T. Viral-bacterial interactions and risk of acute otitis media complicating upper respiratory tract infection. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 2011 Nov; 49(11):3750-5. PMCID: PMC3209086
- Lee HJ, Gent JF, Leaderer BP, Koutrakis P. Spatial and temporal variability of fine particle composition and source types in five cities of Connecticut and Massachusetts. Science of the Total Environment, 2011;409:2133-2142.
- Laufer AS, MetlayJP, Gent JF, Pennie KP, Kong Y, Pettigrew MM. Microbial communities of the upper respiratory tract and otitis media in children. MBio. 2011 Feb;2(1):e00245-10. PMCID:PMC3031303
- Skene KJ, Gent JF, McKay LA, Belanger K, Leaderer BP, Holford TR. Modeling effects of traffic and landscape characteristics on ambient nitrogen dioxide in Connecticut. Atmospheric Environment, 2010;44: 5156-5164. PMCID: PMC2976574
- Bell ML, Belanger K, Ebisu K, Gent JF, Lee HJ, Koutrakis P, Leaderer BP. Prenatal exposure to fine particulate matter and birth weight: variations by particulate constituents and sources. Epidemiology. 2010 Nov 21(6):884-91. PMCID:PMC3055585.
- Gent JF, Bell ML. Air pollution, population vulnerability, and standards for ambient air quality. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182:296-297. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.201004-0538ED [Editorial]
- Laufer AS, Thomas JC, Figueira M, Gent JF, Pelton SI, Pettigrew MM. Capacity of serotype 19A and 15B/C Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates for experimental otitis media: Implications for the conjugate vaccine. Vaccine. 2010 Mar 11;28(12):2450-7. PMCID:PMC2851619
- Holford TR, Ebisu K, McKay LA, Gent JF, Triche EW, Bracken MB, Leaderer BP. Integrated exposure modeling: A model using GIS and GLM. Stat Med. 2010 Jan 15;29(1):116-129. PMCID: PMC3182125
- Gent J, Belanger K, Triche EW, Bracken MB, Beckett WS, Leaderer BP. Association of pediatric asthma severity with exposure to common household dust allergens. Environmental Res. 2009;109:768-774. PMCID: PMC2706291
- Gent JF, Koutrakis P, Belanger K, Triche E, Holford TR, Bracken MB, Leaderer BP. Symptoms and medication use in children with asthma and traffic-related sources of fine particle pollution. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117(7):1168-1174. PMCID: PMC2717146
- Gent JF, Triche EW, Holford TR, Belanger K, Bracken MB, Beckett WS, Leaderer BP. Association of low level ozone and fine particles with respiratory symptoms in children with asthma. JAMA. 2003;290:1859-1867. PMID: 14532314.