Breast Neoplasms; Epidemiology; Meningioma; Neurosurgery; Statistics as Topic; Central Nervous System Neoplasms
Public Health Interests
Biostatistics; BRAC1; BRAC2; Breast cancer; Cancer Epidemiology; Genetic epidemiology; Glioma; Meningioma; Neuroepidemiology; Risk assessment; Statistical genetics
Center for Neuroepidemiology and Clinical Neurological Research
Elizabeth B. Claus, MD, PhD is Professor and Director of Medical Research in the Yale University School of Public Health as well as Attending Neurosurgeon and Director of Stereotactic Radiosurgery within the Department of Neurosurgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. Dr. Claus' work is focused in cancer and genetic epidemiology with an emphasis on the development of risk models for breast and brain tumors. She is the overall PI of the Meningioma Consortium, the Meningioma Genome-Wide Association Study, and the Yale Acoustic Neuroma Study as well as a co-investigator of the GLIOGENE (Genes for Glioma) and International Glioma Case/Control (GICC) projects. In addition to her research activities, Dr. Claus trained as a neurosurgeon at Yale-New Haven Hospital and completed a fellowship in neurosurgical oncology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital; her clinical focus is on the treatment of meningioma, glioma, acoustic neuroma and brain metastases. In partnership with national patient brain tumor organizations including the American Brain Tumor Association (ABTA), the National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) and the Acoustic Neuroma Association (ANA), Dr. Claus is working to develop cost- and time-efficient web- and smartphone- based recruitment strategies to be used in the study of brain tumors. She has recently received pilot funding from the ABTA and NBTS to commence development of a web-based registry for patients with low grade glioma (The International Low Grade Glioma Project at firstname.lastname@example.org) in an effort to advance research efforts for this group of patients.
Extensive Research Description
- The Yale Breast Study
- The DCIS and BRCA1/2 Cohort Study
- The Meningioma Consortium Project
- The Meningioma Family Study
- The Meningioma Genome-Wide Association Study
- GLIOGENE (Genes for Glioma)
- The International Glioma Case/Control Study (GICC)
- The Yale Acoustic Neuroma Study (email@example.com)
- The International Low Grade Glioma Project (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Local control after fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastases Rajakesari S, Arvold ND, Jimenez RB, Christianson LW, Horvath MC, Claus EB, Golby AJ, Johnson MD, Dunn IF, Lee EQ, Lin NU, Friesen S, Mannarino EG, Wagar M, Hacker FL, Weiss SE, Alexander BM. Local control after fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastases. 2014, Nov;120(2):339-46. doi: 10.1007/s11060-014-1556-5. [PMID: 25059451]
- Effect of Gender on the Production of Autoantibodies to Meningioma Antigens. Wiemels J, Bracchi P, Schildkraut J, Wrensch M, Bondy M, Pfefferle J, Zhou M, Sison J, Calvocoressi L, Claus EB. Effect of Gender on the Production of Autoantibodies to Meningioma Antigens. Am J Epidemiol 2013;177:75-83
- Dental X-rays and Risk of Meningioma. Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M. Cancer. 2012 Sep 15;118(18):4530-7.
- Exogenous Hormone Use, Reproductive Factors and the Risk of Intra-Cranial Meningioma in Females. Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Wrensch M, Wiemels J, Schildkraut J. J Neurosurg 2012 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Insight in glioma susceptibility through an analysis of 6p22.3, 12p13.33-12.1, 17q22-23.2 and 18q23 SNP genotypes in familial and non-familial glioma. Liu Y1, Melin BS, Rajaraman P, Wang Z, Linet M, Shete S, Amos CI, Lau CC, Scheurer ME, Tsavachidis S, Armstrong GN, Houlston RS, Hosking FJ, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Lai R, Il'yasova D, Schildkraut J, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Bernstein JL, Olson SH, Jenkins RB, LaChance D, Vick NA, Wrensch M, Davis F, McCarthy BJ, Andersson U, Thompson PA, Chanock S; Gliogene Consortium, Bondy ML. (2012) Insight in glioma susceptibility through an analysis of 6p22.3, 12p13.33-12.1, 17q22-23.2 and 18q23 SNP genotypes in familial and non-familial glioma.
- Neurosurgical management of metastases in the central nervous System Claus EB. . Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2012; 9, 79–86; published online 6 December 2011
- Genome-wide high-density SNP linkage search for glioma susceptibility loci: results from the Gliogene Consortium. Shete S1, Lau CC, Houlston RS, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Lai R, Il'yasova D, Schildkraut J, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Bernstein JL, Olson SH, Jenkins RB, Yang P, Vick NA, Wrensch M, Davis FG, McCarthy BJ, Leung EH, Davis C, Cheng R, Hosking FJ, Armstrong GN, Liu Y, Yu RK, Henriksson R; Gliogene Consortium, Melin BS, Bondy ML. (2011) Genome-wide high-density SNP linkage search for glioma susceptibility loci: results from the Gliogene Consortium.
- Family and Personal Medical History and Risk of Meningioma. Claus EB, Calvocoressi L, Bondy M, Schildkraut J, Wiemels J, Wrensch M. J Neurosurg 2011;115:1072-77
- Bone Morphogenetic Protein and Spinal Fusion: Utilization, Complications, and Costs. Cahill KS, Chi J, Day A, Claus EB: J Amer Med Assoc 2009:302:58-66
- Specific genes expressed in association with progesterone receptors in meningioma. Claus EB, Park PJ, Carroll R, Chan J, Black PM. Cancer Research 2008;68(1):314-22
- Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutations in Women Diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Claus, E.B., Petruzella, S., Matloff, E., and Carter, D. . J Amer Med Assoc 293(8): 964-969, 2005.
- Germline mutations in shelterin complex genes are associated with familial glioma. Bainbridge MN1, Armstrong GN1, Gramatges MM1, Bertuch AA1, Jhangiani SN1, Doddapaneni H1, Lewis L1, Tombrello J1, Tsavachidis S1, Liu Y1, Jalali A1, Plon SE1, Lau CC1, Parsons DW1, Claus EB1, Barnholtz-Sloan J1, Il'yasova D1, Schildkraut J1, Ali-Osman F1, Sadetzki S1, Johansen C1, Houlston RS1, Jenkins RB1, Lachance D1, Olson SH1, Bernstein JL1, Merrell RT1, Wrensch MR1, Walsh KM1, Davis FG1, Lai R1, Shete S1, Aldape K1, Amos CI1, Thompson PA1, Muzny DM1, Gibbs RA1, Melin BS1, Bondy ML1; Gliogene Consortium. (2014) Germline mutations in shelterin complex genes are associated with familial glioma.
- Clinical implementation of integrated whole- genome copy number and mutation profiling for glioblastoma Ramkissoon SH, Bi WL, Schumacher SE, Ramkissoon LA, Haidar S, Knoff D, Dubuc A, Brown L, Burns M, Cryan JB, Abedalthagafi M, Kang YJ, Schultz N, Reardon DA, Lee EQ, Rinne ML, Norden AD, Nayak L, Ruland S, Doherty LM, LaFrankie DC, Horvath M, Aizer AA, Russo A, Arvold ND, Claus EB, ….Alexander BM, Ligon KL. Neuro Oncol 2015 Mar 9. pii: nov015. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 25754088]. [PMCID: PMC Journal in Process].
- The Gliogene Consortium: A Report from the Glioma International Case-Control Study (GICC). Amirian ES, Armstrong GN, Zhou R, Lau CC, Claus EB, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Il'yasova D, Schildkraut J, Ali-Osman F, Sadetzki S, Johansen C, Houlston RS, Jenkins RB, Lachance D, Olson SH, Bernstein JL, Merrell RT, Wrensch MR, Davis FG, Lai R, Shete S, Amos CI, Scheurer ME, Wiencke JK, Aldape K, Alazuffov I, Brännström T, Broholm H, Collins P, Giannini C, Rosenblum M, Tihan T, The Gliogene Consortium, Melin BS, and Bondy ML. Amer J Epidemiol (In press)
- Genetic analysis of breast cancer in the Cancer and Steroid Hormone Study Claus EB, Risch N, Thompson WD: . Am J Hum Genet 1991;48:232-242