Health Management Practicum, (HPA 555a, b) is offered to students seeking health administration or policy related careers. Students are individually placed within hospitals and other health care organizations, or in settings where they work on current state and/or local health policy issues with legislators, policy makers, and senior staff, or at non-profit health policy or advocacy groups. The course is offered in both the fall and spring semesters giving students the opportunity to take a one or two semester practicum.Faculty contact: Health Management (Martin Klein); Health Policy (Shelley Geballe).
Examples of Health Management Projects:
- Evaluating Wellness Programs (Aetna Enterprise)
- Reconfiguring Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital Unit (Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital)
- New Business Developments in the Yale-New Haven Hospital Ambulatory Services Division (Yale New Haven Hospital)
- Evaluating Patient Centered Care Initiatives (VA Connecticut Health Care System)
- Launch of Health Matters! Public Health Campaign (City of New Haven)
Examples of Health Policy Projects:
- Diverse Analyses of Key Issues in Connecticut’s Implementation of Federal Health Care Reform (Governor’s Special Advisor on Healthcare Reform)
- Creation of Model Legislation for Connecticut’s Health Care Exchange (Connecticut Senate President Pro Tem)
- Survey of Physician Readiness for Medical Home Implementation (Connecticut Director of Medical Care Administration)
- Analysis of Potential Impacts of Governor’s Proposed Budget and Health Reform Bills on Connecticut’s Medicaid Population (Connecticut General Assembly, Medicaid Care Management Oversight Council)
- Analysis of and Testimony on Proposed Bills Pertaining to Health Insurance Coverage and Rate Reviews (CT Office of the Healthcare Advocate).