Statistics; Genomics; Biostatistics
Dr. Wang's research focuses on the development of statistical and computational methods to address problems in genetics, in particular, the identification of genes contributing to human complex diseases, such as alcohol use disorder and cancer. She has developed statistical methods to address both dependent and partially-observed data and has applied these methods to problems in association analysis of complex traits in related individuals and longitudinal measured phenotypes. Current studies include using next-generation sequencing and exome chip data to detect rare variants and studying epigenomic variation.
Specialized Terms: Genetics; Bioinformatics; Genomics
A comparison of association methods correcting for population stratification in case-control studies.
Wu, C., DeWan, A., Hoh, J., and Wang, Z., (2011) A comparison of association methods correcting for population stratification in case-control studies. Annals of Human Genetics, 75:418-427.
Direct assessment of multiple testing correction in case-control association studies with related individuals.
Wang, Z., (2011) Direct assessment of multiple testing correction in case-control association studies with related individuals. Genetic Epidemiology, 35:70-79.
An incomplete-data quasi-likelihood approach to haplotype-based genetic association studies on related individuals.
Wang, Z., and McPeek, M.S., (2009) An incomplete-data quasi-likelihood approach to haplotype-based genetic association studies on related individuals. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 104:1251-1260.
ATRIUM: Testing untyped SNPs in case-control association studies with related individuals.
Wang, Z., and McPeek, M.S., (2009) ATRIUM: Testing untyped SNPs in case-control association studies with related individuals. American Journal of Human Genetics, 85:667-678.
- Joint functional mapping of quantitative trait loci for HIV-1 and CD4+ dynamics. Wang, Z., Li, Y., Li, Q., and Wu, R., (2009) Joint functional mapping of quantitative trait loci for HIV-1 and CD4+ dynamics. The International Journal of Biostatistics, Vol. 5: Iss. 1, Article 9.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Lu L, Bai Y, Wang Z: Elevated T cell activation score is associated with improved survival of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 May 9; 2017 May 9. PMID: 28488141
- Salazar MC, Rosen JE, Wang Z, Arnold BN, Thomas DC, Herbst RS, Kim AW, Detterbeck FC, Blasberg JD, Boffa DJ: Association of Delayed Adjuvant Chemotherapy With Survival After Lung Cancer Surgery. JAMA Oncol. 2017 May 1. PMID: 28056112
- Fragoso CA, Moreno M, Wang Z, Heffelfinger C, Arbelaez LJ, Aguirre JA, Franco N, Romero LE, Labadie K, Zhao H, Dellaporta SL, Lorieux M: Genetic Architecture of a Rice Nested Association Mapping Population. G3 (Bethesda). 2017 Apr 26; 2017 Apr 26. PMID: 28450374
- Wang Z: Integrating evolutionary game theory into epigenetic study of embryonic development: Comment on "Epigenetic game theory: How to compute the epigenetic control of maternal-to-zygotic transition" by Qian Wang et al. Phys Life Rev. 2017 Mar; 2017 Jan 12. PMID: 28094147
- Jawitz OK, Wang Z, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Blasberg JD, Kim AW: The differential impact of preoperative comorbidity on perioperative outcomes following thoracoscopic and open lobectomies. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2017 Jan; 2016 Jul 25. PMID: 27458143
- Wang Z, Xu K, Zhang X, Wu X, Wang Z: Longitudinal SNP-set association analysis of quantitative phenotypes. Genet Epidemiol. 2017 Jan; 2016 Nov 9. PMID: 27859628
- Xu K, Zhang X, Wang Z, Hu Y, Sinha R: Epigenome-wide association analysis revealed that SOCS3 methylation influences the effect of cumulative stress on obesity. Biol Psychol. 2016 Nov 5; 2016 Nov 5. PMID: 27826092
- Han L, Cai Q, Tian D, Kong DK, Gou X, Chen Z, Strittmatter SM, Wang Z, Sheth KN, Zhou J: Targeted drug delivery to ischemic stroke via chlorotoxin-anchored, lexiscan-loaded nanoparticles. Nanomedicine. 2016 Oct; 2016 Mar 30. PMID: 27039220
- Zhang X, Justice AC, Hu Y, Wang Z, Zhao H, Wang G, Johnson EO, Emu B, Sutton RE, Krystal JH, Xu K: Epigenome-wide differential DNA methylation between HIV-infected and uninfected individuals. Epigenetics. 2016 Aug 12; 2016 Aug 12. PMID: 27672717
- DeLuzio MR, Keshava HB, Wang Z, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Kim AW: A model for predicting prolonged length of stay in patients undergoing anatomical lung resection: a National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) database study. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016 Aug; 2016 Apr 12. PMID: 27073262
- Rosen JE, Salazar MC, Wang Z, Yu JB, Decker RH, Kim AW, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ: Lobectomy versus stereotactic body radiotherapy in healthy patients with stage I lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016 Jul; 2016 Apr 7. PMID: 27131846
- Jawitz OK, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Kim AW: Estimating the Annual Incremental Cost of Several Complications Following Pulmonary Lobectomy. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016 Summer; 2016 Jun 14. PMID: 28043473
- Jean RA, DeLuzio MR, Kraev AI, Wang G, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Kim AW: Analyzing Risk Factors for Morbidity and Mortality after Lung Resection for Lung Cancer Using the NSQIP Database. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Jun; 2016 Mar 8. PMID: 27118714
- Liu J, Hancock JG, Moreno AC, Wang Z, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Kim AW: Evaluating the fate of patients who undergo resections of very large, node-negative lung cancers using the National Cancer DataBase. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016 Feb; 2015 Apr 18. PMID: 25890936
- DeLuzio MR, Moores C, Dhamija A, Wang Z, Cha C, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Kim AW: Resection of oligometastatic lung cancer to the pancreas may yield a survival benefit in select patients--a systematic review. Pancreatology. 2015 Sep-Oct; 2015 Apr 3. PMID: 25900320
- Assi R, Wong DJ, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Chupp GL, Kim AW: Hospital readmission after pulmonary lobectomy is not affected by surgical approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Feb; 2014 Dec 12. PMID: 25497070
- Xu K, Krystal JH, Ning Y, Chen DC, He H, Wang D, Ke X, Zhang X, Ding Y, Liu Y, Gueorguieva R, Wang Z, Limoncelli D, Pietrzak RH, Petrakis IL, Zhang X, Fan N: Preliminary analysis of positive and negative syndrome scale in ketamine-associated psychosis in comparison with schizophrenia. J Psychiatr Res. 2015 Feb; 2014 Dec 24. PMID: 25560772
- Sartor CE, Wang Z, Xu K, Kranzler HR, Gelernter J: The joint effects of ADH1B variants and childhood adversity on alcohol related phenotypes in African-American and European-American women and men. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014 Dec; 2014 Nov 19. PMID: 25410943
- Wang W, Feng Z, Bull SB, Wang Z: A 2-step strategy for detecting pleiotropic effects on multiple longitudinal traits. Front Genet. 2014; 2014 Oct 20. PMID: 25368629
- Zhang H, Wang F, Kranzler HR, Yang C, Xu H, Wang Z, Zhao H, Gelernter J: Identification of methylation quantitative trait loci (mQTLs) influencing promoter DNA methylation of alcohol dependence risk genes. Hum Genet. 2014 Sep; 2014 Jun 3. PMID: 24889829
- Zhou L, Shen Y, Wu W, Wang Z, Hou W, Zhu S, Wu R: A model for computing genes governing marital dissolution through sentimental dynamics. J Theor Biol. 2014 Jul 21; 2014 Feb 21. PMID: 24560725
- Moreno AC, Morgensztern D, Boffa DJ, Decker RH, Yu JB, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Rose MG, Kim AW: Treating locally advanced disease: an analysis of very large, hilar lymph node positive non-small cell lung cancer using the National Cancer Data Base. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014 Apr; 2014 Feb 26. PMID: 24582051
- Law TD, Boffa DJ, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Park HS, Kim AW: Lethality of cardiovascular events highlights the variable impact of complication type between thoracoscopic and open pulmonary lobectomies. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014 Mar; 2013 Dec 25. PMID: 24370204
- Huang J, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Loehrer PJ: [Standard outcome measures for thymic malignancies]. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi. 2014 Feb. PMID: 24581163
- Liu X, Han S, Wang Z, Gelernter J, Yang BZ: Variant callers for next-generation sequencing data: a comparison study. PLoS One. 2013; 2013 Sep 27. PMID: 24086590
- Wang Z, Liu X, Yang BZ, Gelernter J: The role and challenges of exome sequencing in studies of human diseases. Front Genet. 2013 Aug 26; 2013 Aug 26. PMID: 24032039
- Kuzmik GA, Detterbeck FC, Decker RH, Boffa DJ, Wang Z, Oliva IB, Kim AW: Pulmonary resections following prior definitive chemoradiation therapy are associated with acceptable survival. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013 Jul; 2013 Apr 4. PMID: 23557918
- Wang Z, Luo J, Fu G, Wang Z, Wu R: Stochastic modeling of systems mapping in pharmacogenomics. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2013 Jun 30; 2013 Mar 22. PMID: 23528445
- Ahmad U, Wang Z, Bryant AS, Kim AW, Kukreja J, Mason DP, Bermudez CA, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ: Outcomes for lung transplantation for lung cancer in the United Network for Organ Sharing Registry. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012 Sep; 2012 Jul 25. PMID: 22835555
- Zhang CK, Stein PB, Liu J, Wang Z, Yang R, Cho JH, Gregersen PK, Aerts JM, Zhao H, Pastores GM, Mistry PK: Genome-wide association study of N370S homozygous Gaucher disease reveals the candidacy of CLN8 gene as a genetic modifier contributing to extreme phenotypic variation. Am J Hematol. 2012 Apr; 2012 Mar 3. PMID: 22388998
- Kim AW, Boffa DJ, Wang Z, Detterbeck FC: An analysis, systematic review, and meta-analysis of the perioperative mortality after neoadjuvant therapy and pneumonectomy for non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Jan; 2011 Nov 4. PMID: 22056364
- Wu C, Walsh KM, Dewan AT, Hoh J, Wang Z: Disease risk prediction with rare and common variants. BMC Proc. 2011 Nov 29; 2011 Nov 29. PMID: 22373337
- Muralidaran A, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ, Wang Z, Kim AW: Long-term survival after lung resection for non-small cell lung cancer with circulatory bypass: a systematic review. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011 Nov; 2011 Aug 23. PMID: 21864854
- Huang J, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Loehrer PJ Sr: Standard outcome measures for thymic malignancies. J Thorac Oncol. 2011 Jul. PMID: 21847049
- Wu C, DeWan A, Hoh J, Wang Z: A comparison of association methods correcting for population stratification in case-control studies. Ann Hum Genet. 2011 May; 2011 Jan 31. PMID: 21281271
- Wang Z: Direct assessment of multiple testing correction in case-control association studies with related individuals. Genet Epidemiol. 2011 Jan. PMID: 21181898
- Huang J, Detterbeck FC, Wang Z, Loehrer PJ Sr: Standard outcome measures for thymic malignancies. J Thorac Oncol. 2010 Dec. PMID: 20978450