Ecology; Immunization; Paratyphoid Fever; Rotavirus; Typhoid Fever; Global Health
Public Health Interests
Childhood Immunizations; Global Health; Infectious Disease Transmission; Influenza; Microbial Ecology; Modeling; Respiratory Disease/Infections
Professor Pitzer uses mathematical models for the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases to understand patterns in the distribution of cases over time and space, and to predict the potential impact of interventions such as vaccination. By integrating epidemiological data analysis with concepts from disease ecology, she studies how characteristics of host-pathogen interactions affect the population-level spread of disease. Current projects include understanding the dynamics of rotavirus and the potential impact of vaccination in developing countries; evaluating strategies for controlling typhoid fever in endemic countries; and understanding how climatic factors influence the seasonality and spatiotemporal spread of RSV.
Specialized Terms: Transmission dynamics; Mathematical modeling; Rotavirus; Typhoid fever
- Lewnard JA, Antillón M, Gonsalves G, Miller AM, Ko AI, Pitzer VE (2016). Strategies to prevent cholera introduction during international personnel deployments: a computational modeling analysis of the 2010 Haiti outbreak. PLoS Med. 13(1): e1001947.
- Pitzer VE, Bilcke J, Heylen E, Crawford FW, Callens M, De Smet F, Van Ranst M, Zeller M, Matthijnssens J. (2015) Did large-scale vaccination drive changes in the circulating rotavirus population in Belgium? Sci Rep. 5: 18585.
- Pitzer VE, Viboud C, Alonso WJ, Wilcox T, Metcalf CJ, Steiner CA, Haynes AK, Grenfell BT. (2015) Environmental Drivers of the Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Respiratory Syncytial Virus in the United States. PLoS Pathogens. 11(1): e1004591.
- Pitzer VE, Bowles CC, Baker S, Kang G, Balaji V, Farrar JJ, Grenfell BT. (2014) Predicting the impact of vaccination on the transmission dynamics of typhoid in South Asia: a mathematical modeling study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 8(1): e2642.
- Lopman BA, Pitzer VE, Sarkar R, Gladstone B, Patel MM, Glasser JW, Gambhir M, Atchison C, Grenfell BT, Edmunds WJ, Kang G, Parashar UD (2012). Understanding reduced rotavirus vaccine efficacy in low socio-economic settings. PLoS ONE. 7(8): e41720.
- Pitzer VE, Patel MM, Lopman BA, Viboud C, Parashar UD, Grenfell BT (2011). Modeling rotavirus strain dynamics in developed countries to understand the potential impact of vaccination on genotype distributions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 108(48): 19353-8.
- Shaman J, Pitzer VE, Viboud C, Grenfell BT, Lipsitch M (2010). Absolute Humidity and the Seasonal Onset of Influenza in the Continental US. PLoS Biology. 8(2): e1000316.
- Pitzer VE, Viboud C, Simonsen L, Steiner C, Panozzo CA, Alonso WJ, Miller MA, Glass RI, Glasser JW, Parashar UD, Grenfell BT (2009). Demographic Variability, Vaccination, and the Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Rotavirus. Science. 325(5938): 290-4.