Stanislav Vojtech Kasl PhD
Professor Emeritus of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
Professor Kasl's primary research interest is in psychosocial epidemiology, the study of social and psychological risk factors for physical illness. Studies include incidence of disease, course of illness and disability, and case fatality. His second research interest is in psychiatric epidemiology, the study of risk factors for psychiatric outcomes and aspects of mental health and well-being. His current work includes: 1) determinants of mortality, morbidity and disability in elderly persons and elderly couples; 2) race differences in cancer stage at diagnosis, in screening behaviors, and in survival; 3) bereavement and complicated grief; 4) influences of religious dimensions on health and functioning; and 5) effects of job loss among older workers
- Kasl, S.V. and Jones, B.A. Unemployment and Health. In: Cambridge Handbook of Psychology, Health and Medicine (2nd Edition), Ayers, S., Baum, A., McManus, C., Newman, S., Wallston, K., Weinman, J., and West, R. (Eds.)., Cambridge UK: Cambridge University Press, in press.
- Williams, C.S., Tinetti, M.E., Kasl, S.V., and Peduzzi, P. The Role of Pain in the Recovery of Instrumental and Social Functioning After Hip Fracture. Journal of Aging and Health, in press.
- Barry, L.C., Kasl, S.V., Lichtman, J., Vaccarino, V., and Krumholz, H.M. Perceived Control and Functional Status After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting: A Prospective Study. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, in press
- Gallo, W.T., Teng, H.-M., Falba, T.A., Kasl, S.V., Krumholz, H.V., and Bradley, E.H. The Impact of Late-career Job Loss on Myocardial Infarction and Stroke: A 10-year Follow-up Using the Health and Retirement Survey. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, in press
- Mendes de Leon, C.F., Bang, W., Bienias, J.L., Glass, T.A., Vaccarino, V., and Kasl, S.V. Changes in Disability Before and After Myocardial Infarction in Older Adults. Archives of Internal Medicine 165: 763-768, 2005
- Soler-Vila, H., Kasl, S.V., and Jones, B.A. Cancer-specific Beliefs and Survival: A Population-based Study of African-American and White Breast Cancer Patients. Cancer Causes & Control 16: 105-114, 2005
- Kennedy, B.S., Kasl, S.V., Lichtman, J., and Zhao, H. Predicting Readmission Stroke Type among Blacks and Whites in California. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease 14: 251-260, 2005.
- Calvocoressi, L., Stolar., M., Kasl, S.V., Claus, E.B., and Jones, B.A. Applying Recursive Partitioning to a Prospective Study of Factors Associated with Adherence to Mammography Screening Guidelines. American Journal of Epidemiology 162: 1215-1224, 2005