Brain Neoplasms; Epidemiology; HIV Infections; Climate Change
Public Health Interests
Cancer Epidemiology; Glioma; Climate Change; HIV/AIDS
Dr. Dubrow’s research has focused on two separate areas: HIV-related malignancies and glioma. HIV-infected persons are at elevated risk for cancer. Dr. Dubrow's work has focused on determining which cancer types have elevated incidence, describing time trends in incidence, disentangling immune system effects of HIV infection from non-HIV risk factor effects, and understanding relationships between cumulative and current measures of CD4 count, HIV RNA level, and antiretroviral therapy and cancer risk. With respect to glioma, Dr. Dubrow has published on its descriptive epidemiology, dietary and genetic risk factors, and outcomes. In a new phase of his career, Dr. Dubrow is currently developing scholarly work on climate change and health.
- Park LS, Tate JP, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Rimland D, Goetz MB, Gibert C, Brown ST, Kelley MJ, Justice AC, Dubrow R. Cancer incidence in HIV-infected versus uninfected veterans: comparison of cancer registry and ICD-9 code diagnoses. J AIDS Clin Res 2014;5:318.
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS, Jacobs DI, Park LS, Rose MG, Laurans MSH, King JT Jr. Time trends in glioblastoma multiforme survival: the role of temozolomide. Neuro Oncol 2013;15:1750-1761.
- Sigel K, Crothers K, Dubrow R, Krauskopf K, Jao J, Sigel C, Moskowitz A, Wisnivesky J. Prognosis in HIV-infected patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer 2013;109:1974-80.
- Dubrow R, Silverberg MJ, Park LS, Crothers K, Justice AC. HIV infection, aging, and immune function: implications for cancer risk and prevention. Curr Opin Oncol 2012;24:506-516.
- Darefsky AS, King JT Jr, Dubrow R. Adult glioblastoma multiforme survival in the temozolomide era: a population-based analysis of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results registries. Cancer 2012;118:2163-2172.
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS, Freedman ND, Hollenbeck AR, Sinha R. Coffee, tea, soda, and caffeine intake in relation to risk of adult glioma in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Cancer Causes Control 2012;23:757-768.
- Silverberg MJ, Lau B, Justice AC, Engels E, Gill MJ, Goedert JJ, Kirk GD, D’Souza G, Bosch RJ, Brooks JT, Napravnik S, Hessol NA, Jacobson LP, Kitahata MM, Klein MB, Moore RD, Rodriguez B, Rourke SB, Saag MS, Sterling TR, Gebo KA, Press N, Martin JN, and Dubrow R for the North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design (NA-ACCORD) of IeDEA. Risk of anal cancer in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected individuals in North America. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:1026-34.
- Sigel K, Wisnivesky J, Gordon K, Dubrow R, Justice A, Brown ST, Goulet J, Butt AA, Crystal S, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Gibert C, Park L, Crothers K. HIV as an independent risk factor for incident lung cancer. AIDS 2012;26:1017-1025.
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS. Demographic variation in incidence of adult glioma by subtype, United States, 1992-2007. BMC Cancer 2011;11:325.
- Park LS, Tate JP, Justice AC, Lo Re III V, Lim JK, Bräu N, Brown ST, Butt AA, Gibert C, Goetz MB, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Dubrow R. FIB-4 index is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma risk in HIV-infected patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2011;20:2512-17.
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS, Park Y, Mayne ST, Moore SC, Kilfoy B, Cross AJ, Sinha R, Hollenbeck AR, Schatzkin A, Ward MH. Dietary components related to N-nitroso compound formation: a prospective study of adult glioma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2010; 19:1709-22.