Hepatitis C; HIV Infections; Substance Abuse Detection; Infectious Disease Medicine
Public Health Interests
Hepatitis; HIV/AIDS; Substance abuse
Dr. Bruce's scholarly work focuses on the intersection of substance abuse/dependence and infectious diseases, particularly HIV and Hepatitis C. Dr. Bruce is the recipient of a NIDA Career Development Award to improve health outcomes among drug users at the intersection of infectious diseases (especially HIV and HCV) and addiction. There are several specific sub-themes that are embedded in that overall focus and they are: 1) integration efforts to improve health outcomes; 2) pharmacokinetic interaction studies between HIV/HCV/TB treatments and treatments for substance dependence (e.g., buprenorphine/methadone); 3) ethical issues regarding the conduct of research and the provision of clinical care at the intersection of infectious diseases and addiction.
Specialized Terms: Substance abuse/dependence; Infectious diseases; HIV; Hepatitis C
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Bruce’s project, Integrating Hepatitis C Treatment within Methadone Maintenance Programs aims to develop and implement HCV treatment in a substance abuse treatment site. Specifically, to examine the feasibility of integrating HCV treatment into existing models of methadone maintenance therapy and will consist of two phases, the first which establish the feasibility of integrating HCV treatment into existing models of methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) and once feasibility has been established, the second phase will conduct a pilot study of one model of delivering HCV treatment. The model will compare co-location of MMT with HCV treatment and MMT with offsite HCV treatment.
- Bruce RD, Eiserman J, Acosta A, Gote C, Lim JK, Altice FL. Developing a Modified Directly Observed Therapy Intervention for Hepatitis C Treatment in a Methadone Maintenance Program: Implications for Program Replication. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2012 May; 38(3):206-12.
- Bruce RD, Moody DE, Wenfang BF, Chodkowski D, Andrews L, Friedland GH. Tipranavir/Ritonavir Induction of Buprenorphine Glucuronide Metabolism in HIV-Negative Subjects Chronically Receiving Buprenorphine/Naloxone. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2011 Jul; 37(4):224-8.
- Bruce RD, Altice FL, Moody DE, Morse GD, Andrews L, Lin S, Fang WB, Ma Q, Friedland GH. Pharmacokinetic Interactions between Buprenorphine/Naloxone and Once-Daily Lopinavir/Ritonavir. JAIDS. 2010 Aug: 54(5):511-4. NIHMS 198833
- Bruce, RD. Methadone as HIV prevention: high volume methadone sites to decrease HIV incidence rates in resource limited settings. International Journal of Drug Policy. 2010 Mar;21(2):122-4. PMCID: PMC2839048
- Bruce RD, Kresina TF, McCance-Katz EF. Medication Assisted Treatment and HIV/AIDS: Aspects in Treating HIV- Infected Drug Users. AIDS. 2010; 24(3): 331-40.