Diabetes Mellitus; Maternal Health Services; Maternal-Child Health Centers; Obesity; Pregnancy; Prenatal Care; South Africa; Global Health; Samoa; American Samoa
Public Health Interests
Diabetes; Maternal & child health; Obesity; Pregnancy
Obesity Research Working Group
Yale Institute for Global Health
My research focuses broadly on: (1) understanding how maternal and child health are impacted by rising levels of obesity and diabetes in developing countries, (2) determining how the delivery of healthcare impacts the identification and treatment of these diseases during the perinatal period, and (3) developing interventions focused on pregnancy and early infancy to prevent the intergenerational transmission of chronic disease. I have ongoing projects and collaborations in American Samoa, Samoa, South Africa, and the US
Specialized Terms: global non-communicable disease, obesity, diabetes, maternal and child health, pregnancy health, infant feeding, prenatal care
Extensive Research Description
Maternal Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices about Healthy Pregnancy and Infancy in American Samoa. , American Samoa (2014 - Present)
Genome-wide Association Study for Adiposity in Samoans (PI: Stephen McGarvey, Brown). Samoa (2009- present)
Ola Tuputupua'e: The "Growing Up" Samoa Study: Longitudinal child cohort study, Samoa (2015 - Present)
The STRONG study: Group Prenatal Care for maternal and child NCD prevention. American Samoa (2017 - present)
Birth to Twenty. Longitudinal birth cohort study, Johannesburg, South Africa (2006 - present)
Gestational weight gain among Samoan women and its impact on delivery and infant outcomes
Hawley, N.L., Johnson, W.O., Hart, C.N., Triche, E.W., Muasau-Howard, B., & McGarvey, S.T. (2015). Gestational weight gain among Samoan women and its impact on delivery and infant outcomes. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 15: 10-17
Obesity and Diabetes in Pacific Islanders: The current burden and the need for urgent action.
Hawley, N.L. & McGarvey, S.T. (2015) Obesity and Diabetes in Pacific Islanders: The current burden and the need for urgent action. Current Diabetes Reports 15 (5): 594.
Mothers’ attitudes and beliefs about infant feeding highlight barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in American Samoa.
Hawley, N.L., Rosen, R.K., Strait, E.A., Ruffuci, G., Holmdahl, I., Freeman, J.R., Muasau-Howard, B.T., & McGarvey, S.T. Mothers’ attitudes and beliefs about infant feeding highlight barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in American Samoa. In Press: Women and Birth.
Genome-wide association study of adiposity in Samoans: Prevalence of non-communicable disease and associated risk factors.
Hawley, N.L., Minster, R.L., Weeks, D.E., Viali, S., Reupena, M.S., Deka, R., & McGarvey, S.T. (2014). Genome-wide association study of adiposity in Samoans: Prevalence of non-communicable disease and associated risk factors. American Journal of Human Biology 26: 491-501
The contribution of feeding mode to obesogenic growth trajectories in American Samoan infants
Hawley, N.L., Johnson, W.O., Nu’usolia, O. & McGarvey, S.T. (2014). The contribution of feeding mode to obesogenic growth trajectories in American Samoan infants. Pediatric Obesity 9 (1): e1-e13.
Barriers to adequate prenatal care utilization in American Samoa
Hawley, N.L., Brown, C., Nu’usolia, O., Ah-Ching, J., Muasau-Howard, B. & McGarvey, S.T. (2014) Barriers to adequate prenatal care utilization in American Samoa. Maternal and Child Health 18 (10): 2284-2292
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Ojo TT, Hawley NL, Desai MM, Akiteng AR, Guwatudde D, Schwartz JI: Exploring knowledge and attitudes toward non-communicable diseases among village health teams in Eastern Uganda: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2017 Dec 12; 2017 Dec 12. PMID: 29233114
- Galvao R, Hawley NL, da Silva CS, Silveira MF: How obstetricians and pregnant women decide mode of birth in light of a recent regulation in Brazil. Women Birth. 2017 Dec 8; 2017 Dec 8. PMID: 29229514
- Adeyinka O, Jukic AM, McGarvey ST, Muasau-Howard BT, Faiai M, Hawley NL: Predictors of prenatal care satisfaction among pregnant women in American Samoa. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017 Nov 16; 2017 Nov 16. PMID: 29145810
- Ayers BL, Hawley NL, Purvis RS, Moore SJ, McElfish PA: Providers' perspectives of barriers experienced in maternal health care among Marshallese women. Women Birth. 2017 Nov 7; 2017 Nov 7. PMID: 29126795
- McElfish PA, Narcisse MR, Long CR, Ayers BL, Hawley NL, Aitaoto N, Riklon S, Su LJ, Ima SZ, Wilmoth RO, Schulz TK, Kadlubar S: Leveraging community-based participatory research capacity to recruit Pacific Islanders into a genetics study. J Community Genet. 2017 Oct; 2017 Jul 8. PMID: 28689351
- Kocher EL, Sternberg Lamb JM, McGarvey ST, Faiai M, Muasau-Howard BT, Hawley NL: Conceptions of pregnancy health and motivations for healthful behavior change among women in American Samoa. Women Birth. 2017 Jun 26; 2017 Jun 26. PMID: 28662836
- Kollannoor-Samuel G, Shebl FM, Hawley NL, Pérez-Escamilla R: Nutrition label use is associated with lower longer-term diabetes risk in US adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017 May; 2017 Mar 29. PMID: 28356273
- Choy CC, Desai MM, Park JJ, Frame EA, Thompson AA, Naseri T, Reupena MS, Duckham RL, Deziel NC, Hawley NL: Child, maternal and household-level correlates of nutritional status: a cross-sectional study among young Samoan children. Public Health Nutr. 2017 May; 2017 Feb 6. PMID: 28162141
- Romano ME, Hawley NL, Eliot M, Calafat AM, Jayatilaka NK, Kelsey K, McGarvey S, Phipps MG, Savitz DA, Werner EF, Braun JM: Variability and predictors of urinary concentrations of organophosphate flame retardant metabolites among pregnant women in Rhode Island. Environ Health. 2017 Apr 11; 2017 Apr 11. PMID: 28399857
- Wang D, Hawley NL, Thompson AA, Lameko V, Reupena MS, McGarvey ST, Baylin A: Dietary Patterns Are Associated with Metabolic Outcomes among Adult Samoans in a Cross-Sectional Study. J Nutr. 2017 Apr; 2017 Feb 15. PMID: 28202634
- Kollannoor-Samuel G, Shebl FM, Hawley NL, Pérez-Escamilla R: Nutrition facts panel use is associated with higher diet quality and lower glycated hemoglobin concentrations in US adults with undiagnosed prediabetes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 26. PMID: 27797707
- Hart CN, Hawley NL, Wing RR: Development of a Behavioral Sleep Intervention as a Novel Approach for Pediatric Obesity in School-aged Children. Sleep Med Clin. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 27. PMID: 28118874
- Minster RL, Hawley NL, Su CT, Sun G, Kershaw EE, Cheng H, Buhule OD, Lin J, Reupena MS, Viali S, Tuitele J, Naseri T, Urban Z, Deka R, Weeks DE, McGarvey ST: A thrifty variant in CREBRF strongly influences body mass index in Samoans. Nat Genet. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 25. PMID: 27455349
- Maredia H, Lambert-Messerlian GM, Palomaki GE, Viali S, Hawley NL, McGarvey ST: Cut-off levels for hyperandrogenemia among Samoan women: An improved methodology for deriving normative data in an obese population. Clin Biochem. 2016 Jul; 2016 Feb 18. PMID: 26908216
- Hart CN, Hawley NL, Wing RR: Development of a Behavioral Sleep Intervention as a Novel Approach for Pediatric Obesity in School-aged Children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2016 Jun. PMID: 27261547
- Hawley NL, Rosen RK, Strait EA, Raffucci G, Holmdahl I, Freeman JR, Muasau-Howard BT, McGarvey ST: Mothers' attitudes and beliefs about infant feeding highlight barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in American Samoa. Women Birth. 2015 Sep; 2015 Apr 29. PMID: 25935567
- Hawley NL, McGarvey ST: Obesity and diabetes in Pacific Islanders: the current burden and the need for urgent action. Curr Diab Rep. 2015 May. PMID: 25809458
- Huang YT, Maccani JZJ, Hawley NL, Wing RR, Kelsey KT, McCaffery JM: Epigenetic patterns in successful weight loss maintainers: a pilot study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2015 May; 2014 Dec 18. PMID: 25520250
- Hawley NL, Johnson W, Hart CN, Triche EW, Ah Ching J, Muasau-Howard B, McGarvey ST: Gestational weight gain among American Samoan women and its impact on delivery and infant outcomes. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Feb 3; 2015 Feb 3. PMID: 25643752
- Cole TJ, Rousham EK, Hawley NL, Cameron N, Norris SA, Pettifor JM: Ethnic and sex differences in skeletal maturation among the Birth to Twenty cohort in South Africa. Arch Dis Child. 2015 Feb; 2014 Nov 19. PMID: 25409981
- Buhule OD, Minster RL, Hawley NL, Medvedovic M, Sun G, Viali S, Deka R, McGarvey ST, Weeks DE: Stratified randomization controls better for batch effects in 450K methylation analysis: a cautionary tale. Front Genet. 2014; 2014 Oct 13. PMID: 25352862