Environmental Health; Epidemiology
Extensive Research Description
Michelle Bell is an associate professor of environmental health at Yale
University’s School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. She explores the relationship between
air pollution and human health by integrating the disciplines of epidemiology,
biostatistics and environmental engineering. Dr. Bell’s research interests include the statistical
analysis of the health impacts of air pollution episodes, meteorological and
air quality modeling and their policy implications. She studies heat-related mortality in Latin American cities
and also focuses on health impacts of climate change, with current projects
based in the United States, Chile, Brazil, Mexico, Korea and Taiwan.
Dr. Bell received her M.S. from Stanford University and her Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. She serves on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Advisory Council on Clean Air Compliance Analysis and the EPA Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee Ozone Review Panel. Dr. Bell is a recipient of the Health Effects Institute Walter A. Rosenblith Young Investigator Award and the National Institutes of Health Outstanding New Environmental Scientist Award. She was elected councilor of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology and currently serves on the board of editors of Environmental Research Letters and Epidemiology and is an associate editor of Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health.
- Bell ML, K Belanger, K Ebisu, JF Gent, HJ Lee, P Koutrakis, BP Leaderer. Association of exposure to fine particulate matter constituents and sources with birth weight. Accepted for Epidemiology.
- Bell ML, RD Peng, F Dominici, JM Samet (2009). Emergency hospital admissions for cardiovascular diseases and ambient levels of carbon monoxide: results for 126 U.S. urban counties, 1999-2005. Circulation 120(11), p. 949-955.
- Bell ML, K Ebisu, RD Peng, JM Samet, F Dominici (2009). Hospital admissions and chemical composition of fine particle air pollution. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 179(12), p. 1115-1120.
- Bell ML, K Ebisu, RD Peng, J Walker, JM Samet, SL Zeger, F Dominici (2008). Seasonal and regional short-term effects of fine particles on hospital admissions in 202 U.S. counties, 1999-2005. American Journal of Epidemiology 168(11), p. 1301-1310.
- Peng RD, HH Chang, ML Bell, A McDermott, SL Zeger, JM Samet, F Dominici (2008). Coarse particulate matter air pollution and hospital admissions for cardiovascular and respiratory diseases among Medicare patients. Journal of the American Medical Associatio
- Bell ML, A McDermott, SL Zeger, JM Samet, F Dominici (2004). Ozone and mortality in 95 U.S. urban communities, 1987 to 2000. Journal of the American Medical Association 292(19), p. 2372-2378.