Costs and Cost Analysis; Economics, Hospital; Economics, Medical; Health Care Economics and Organizations; Health Services Administration; Internship and Residency; Outcome and Process Assessment (Health Care); Public Health; Quality Assurance, Health Care; Quality of Health Care; Radiation; Radiology; Global Health; Telemedicine; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Economics, Pharmaceutical; Health Care Sector; Quality Improvement
Public Health Interests
Health Care Quality; Health care delivery; Health Care Financing; Health Care Management; Health Economics; Health insurance; Health Policy; Medicare/Medicaid; Quality of care; Radiation; Telemedicine
National Clinician Scholars Program
Howie Forman is a Professor of Diagnostic Radiology, Public Health, Management, and Economics at Yale University. He came to Yale as a practicing diagnostic radiologist and remains an active clinician in the YNHH Emergency Room, where he also functions as the operational chief for Diagnostic Radiology. Over the last 18+ years, he has taught undergraduate and graduate courses on healthcare policy, economics, finance, and leadership. He is the faculty director and founder of Yale’s MD/MBA program and the Leadership in Healthcare: MBA for Executives program. Since 2011, he has been the director of the Health Care Management Program at the YSPH. He is actively involved in patient care and issues related to financial administration, healthcare compliance, and quality improvement. He has worked in the US Senate, as a health policy fellow, on Medicare legislation.
Specialized Terms: Healthcare policy; Health economics; Medicare and medicaid finance; Radiation risks and consent practices; MQSA; Women in radiology; Workforce in radiology; Undergraduate and graduate education
- "Referring Physicians' Attitudes Toward International Interpretation of Teleradiology Images" (with N. Lester, T. Durazzo, A. Kaye and M. Ahl), American Journal of Roentgenology, Vol. 188, No. 1, 1-8, 2007.
- "What Characterizes Academic Radiology Departments that Secure Large Amounts of External Funding for Research?" (with A.L. Jonish, S. Kligerman, E. Nagy, M. Bhargavan, and J. Sunshine), Academic Radiology, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1513-1516, 2006.
- "Is the Tobacco Settlement Constitutional?" (with R. Rajkumar and C.P. Gross) The Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics. Vol. 34, No. 4, 748-752, 2006.
- Innovating in health care management education: development of an accelerated MBA and MPH degree program at Yale.(With MM Pettigrew, AF Pistell, and IM Nembhard) American Journal of Public Health. 105 Suppl 1:S68-72, 2015 Mar.
- Time-motion analysis of emergency radiologists and emergency physicians at an urban academic medical center.(with WM Perry, CI Lee, WN Steers and LA Post) Emergency Radiology. 20(5):409-16, 2013 Oct.
- Ordering of CT by emergency department provider type: analysis of a nationally representative sample. (with CI Lee, NA Ponce, SL Ettner, LW Bassett) AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology. 199(5):1054-9, 2012 Nov.