Debbie L Humphries PhD, MPH
Clinical Instructor in Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)
Relationship between hookworm infection, response to treatment, and nutritional status in school children in Ghana; measures of dietary quality, nutritional status and household food security in rural Uganda.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Humphries has a broad background in public health practice. She
has consulting expertise in the areas of diet and physical activity
behavior change, sustainability of community health programs, program
monitoring and evaluation, and training in participatory monitoring and
Dr. Humphries has research experience in
relationships between nutritional deficiencies and infectious disease
in resource-poor environments. She is interested in interdisciplinary
research on nutrition, immune function, and disease.
with students in the classroom, on theses and internships provides Dr.
Humphries with valuable insights and the opportunity to investigate
different perspectives and approaches. She has supported students in
conducting research in topics as varied as mapping access to health
centers in Burkina Faso, developing a game for teaching communities
about malaria transmission, mapping access to food and cigarettes in
Almaty, Kazakhstan, and policy approaches to reducing the diabetes
impact in India. She enjoys experimenting in the classroom with
pedagogical methods that combine academic concepts with practical
- Humphries, D., et al., Epidemiology of hookworm infection in Kintampo North Municipality, Ghana: patterns of malaria coinfection, anemia, and albendazole treatment failure. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 2011. 84(5): p. 792-800.
- Humphries D, Gomez L, Hartwig K, 2010. Sustainability of NGO capacity building in southern Africa: successes and opportunities. Int J Health Plann Manage (e-pub ahead of print).
- Hartwig, K., Humphries, D., and Matebeni, Z. (2008) Building Capacity for AIDS NGOs in Southern Africa: Evaluation of a Pilot Initiative. Health Promotion International 23:251-259. PMID: 18407925
- Yim, A., Humphries, D., and Abuova, G. Food, Alcohol and Cigarette Availability and Consumption in Almaty, Kazakstan: Results and Appraisal of a Rapid Assessment. Public Health Nutrition 6(8): 791-800, 2003.
- Krummel, D.A., Humphries, D., and Tessaro, I. Focus Groups on Cardiovascular Health in Rural Women: Implications for Practice. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 34(1): 38-46, 2002
- Humphries, D.L. and Krummel, D.A. Perceived Susceptibility to Cardiovascular Disease and Dietary Intake in Women. American Journal of Health Behaviors 23(4): 250-260, 1999
- Humphries, D.L., Stephenson, L.S., Pearce, E.J., The, P.H., Dan, H.T., and Khanh, L.T. The Use of Human Faeces for Fertilizer is Associated with Increased Intensity of Hookworm Infection in Vietnamese Women. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 91: 518-520, 1997.
- Humphries, D., Vella, A.T., and Pearce, E.J. Increased CD4+ T Cell-dependent Anti-erythrocyte Antibody Levels Following the Onset of Parasite Egg Production in Schistosoma mansoni Infected Mice. Parasite Immunology 16: 469-477, 1994.