Aging; Environment and Public Health; Mental Health; Psychological Phenomena and Processes; Social Justice; Social Sciences; Psychiatry and Psychology
Public Health Interests
Professor Levy's research explores psychosocial influences on aging. Her studies focus on how psychological factors, particularly older individuals' perceptions of aging, affect cognition and health in old age. She studies this by examining: 1) how psychosocial factors influence recovery and survival in old age; 2) how the aging process differs in cultures that hold diverse views of aging; and 3) how interventions, designed to trigger either positive or negative age stereotypes, influences a variety of outcomes in older individuals including memory, physical performance and cardiovascular response to stress.
Extensive Research Description
- Psychosocial Determinants of Longevity
- Psychosocial Factors that Contribute to Elders’ Successful Cognitive and Physical Functioning
- Mechanisms by which Age Stereotypes Influence Older Individuals Health
- Interventions to Improve Aging Health.
- Levy, B. R.; Ferrucci, L.; Zonderman, A. B.; Slade, M. D.; Troncoso, J.; & Resnick, S. M. (2016). A culture–brain link: Negative age stereotypes predict Alzheimer’s disease biomarkers. Psychology and Aging, 31, 82-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/pag0000062
- Levy, B. R.; Slade, M. D., Chung, P. H. & Gill, T. M. (2015). Resiliency over time of elders’ age stereotypes after encountering stressful events Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 70, 886-890. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbu082
- Levy, B. R., Pilver, C., Chung, P., & Slade, M .D. (2014). Subliminal Strengthening Improving Older Individuals’ Physical Function Over Time With an Implicit-Age-Stereotype Intervention. Psychological Science, 25, 2127-2135. doi: 10.1177/0956797614551970
- Levy, B. R., Pilver, C. E., Pietrzak, R. H. (2014). Lower Prevalence of Psychiatric Conditions when Negative Age Stereotypes are Resisted. Social Science & Medicine, 119, 170-174.
- Levy, B. R., Slade, M. D., Murphy, T. E., & Gill, T. M. (2012). Association between Positive Age Stereotypes and Recovery from Disability in Older Persons. JAMA, 308, 1972-1973.
- Levy, B. R., Zonderman, A. B., Slade, M. D., & Ferrucci, L. (2012). Memory Shaped by Age Stereotypes over Time. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 67, 432-436.
- Levy, B. R., & Pilver, C. E. (2012). Residual Stigma: Psychological Distress among the Formerly Overweight. Social Science and Medicine, 75, 297-299.
- Levy, B.R., Chung, P., & Slade, M.D. (2011). Influence of Valentine’s Day and Halloween on Birth Timing. Social Science and Medicine, 73, 1246-1248.
- Levy, B. R., Zonderman, A. B., Slade, M. D., & Ferrucci, L. (2009). Age Stereotypes Held Earlier in Life Predict Cardiovascular Events in Later Life. Psychological Science, 20, 296-298.
- Levy, B. R., & Leifheit-Limson, E. (2009). The Stereotype-Matching Effect: Greater Influence on Functioning When Age Stereotypes Correspond to Outcomes. Psychology and Aging, 24, 230–233.
- Levy, B. R. (2009). Stereotype Embodiment: A Psychosocial Approach to Aging. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 18, 332-336.
- Levy, B.R., Slade, M.D., & Gill, T. (2006). Hearing Decline Predicted by Elders’ Age Stereotypes. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 61, 82-87.
- Levy, B., & Schlesinger, M. (2005). When Self-interest and Age Stereotypes Collide: Elders’ Preferring Reduced Funds for Programs Benefiting Themselves. Journal of Aging and Social Policy, 17, 25-39.
- Levy, B. R. & Myers, L.M. (2004). Preventive Health Behaviors Influenced by Self-perceptions of Aging. Preventive Medicine, 39, 625-629.
- Levy, B.R. (2003). Mind Matters: Cognitive and Physical Effects of Aging Self-Stereotypes. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Science, 58, 203-211.
- Levy, B.R., Slade, M.D., Kunkel, S.R., & Kasl, S.V. (2002). Longevity Increased by Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 261-270.
- Levy, B.R., Slade, M.D., & Kasl, S.V. (2002). Longitudinal Benefit of Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging on Functioning Health. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 57, 409-417.
- Levy, B.R., Hausdorff, J., Hencke, R., & Wei, J. (2000). Reducing Cardiovascular Stress with Positive Self-Stereotypes of Aging. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 55, 1-9.
- Levy, B. (1996). Improving Memory in Old Age Through Implicit Self-Stereotyping. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 71, 1092-1107.