Medicare; Health Policy; Insurance, Health; Neoplasms; Medically Uninsured; Medicare Part D; Early Detection of Cancer; Prescription Drugs; Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Public Health Interests
Cancer; Cancer screening; Chronic Conditions; Health Care Financing; Health Disparities; Health Economics; Health insurance; Health Policy; Health Services Research; Medicare/Medicaid; Prescription Drugs; Uninsured
Dr. Davidoff studies the ways in which federal and state policies affect availability and cost of private insurance, eligibility and participation in public insurance, and impacts of insurance on access to care, use of services, and health care spending. In previous research she has studied the effects of the Medicaid and SCHIP expansions, private market insurance reform, Medicaid managed care, Medicare Part D, and most recently, the Affordable Care Act. Much of her recent research has focused on the specific effects for individuals newly diagnosed with cancer, or longer term cancer survivors.
Specialized Terms: Medicare Part D; Affordable Care Act; Medicaid expansions; health insurance enrollment; cancer surivors; prescription medications; outcomes research
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Davidoff's research focuses on the effects of public policy on the availability and cost of private insurance, eligibility and participation in public insurance, and impacts of insurance on access to care, use of services, and health care spending. Particular foci for this research have included the Medicaid and SCHIP expansions, private market insurance reform, Medicaid managed care, Medicare Part D, and most recently, the Affordable Care Act. In the past several years she has applied this research to individuals with cancer and their treatment, with specific expertise in lung, colorectal, and hematologic malignancies. Dr. Davidoff has also directed several studies to examine comparative effectiveness of cancer treatments, applying methods of marginal structural modeling and instrumental variables. She has developed methods to improve covariate control for health status in claims-based studies of cancer treatment and outcomes. She has extensive experience working with survey data, including the Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS), National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS), tumor registry data, and insurance claims (SEER-Medicare, Chronic Condition Warehouse, Marketscan). Recent research has examined the relationship between supplemental insurance in the Medicare population and the economic burden of cancer, and how Medicare coverage influences access to oral cancer medications. Ongoing research focuses on reimbursement policy and trends in use and spending on oral and parenteral antineoplastic agents, as well as early evaluation of the impact of the Affordable Care Act on cancer survivors.
Validation of Disability Status, a Claims-Based Measure of Functional Status for Cancer Treatment and Outcomes Studies.
Davidoff AJ, Gardner LD, Zuckerman IH, Hendrick F, Ke X, Edelman M. Validation of Disability Status, a Claims-Based Measure of Functional Status for Cancer Treatment and Outcomes Studies. Medical Care. 2014 Jun;52(6):500-10
The effect of supplemental medical and prescription drug coverage on health care spending for Medicare beneficiaries with cancer.
Erten MZ, Davidoff AJ, Zuckerman IH, Shaffer T, Dougherty JS, Ke X, Stuart B. The effect of supplemental medical and prescription drug coverage on health care spending for Medicare beneficiaries with cancer. Value Health. 2014 Jan;17(1):15-21.
How Medicare Part D benefit phases affect adherence with evidence-based medications following acute myocardial infarction.
Stuart B, Davidoff A, Erten M, Dai M, Shaffer T, Bryant-Comstock L, Shenolikar R. How Medicare Part D Cost Sharing Affects Initiation and Adherence with Evidence-Based Medications Following Acute Myocardial Infarction. Health Services Research, Health Serv Res. 2013 Dec;48(6 Pt 1):1960-77.
Out-of-pocket healthcare expenditure burden for Medicare beneficiaries with cancer.
Davidoff AJ, Erten MZ, Shaffer T, Shoemaker JS, Zuckerman IH, Pandya N, Tai M, Stuart B Out-of-pocket healthcare expenditure burden for Medicare beneficiaries with cancer. Cancer. 2013 Mar 15;119(6):1257-65.
Lenalidomide Performance in the Real World: Patterns of Utilization and Effectiveness in a Medicare Population with Myelodysplastic Syndromes.
Zeidan A, Gore SD, McNally D, Baer M, Hendrick F, Mahmoud D, Davidoff AJ. Lenalidomide Performance in the Real World: Patterns of Utilization and Effectiveness in a Medicare Population with Myelodysplastic Syndromes. Cancer 2013 Nov 1;119(21):3870-8.
Eligibility and Take-up of the Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy.
Shoemaker JS, Davidoff AJ, Stuart BC, Zuckerman IH, Onukwugha E. Eligibility and Take-up of the Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy. Inquiry. 2012 Fall;49(3):214-30. PMID:23230703
The Affordable Care Act and Expanded Insurance Eligibility Among Nonelderly Adult Cancer Survivors.
2. Davidoff AJ, Hill SC, Bernard D, Yabroff R. The Affordable Care Act and expanded insurance eligibility among non-elderly adult cancer survivors. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2015 Jul 1;107(9).
- Trends in Overuse of Antiemetic Therapy for Privately Insured Individuals Receiving Chemotherapy. Evidence for a Choosing Wisely Effect? JAMA Oncol. 2016 Sep 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Zheng Z, Han X, Guy GP Jr, Davidoff AJ, Li C, Banegas MP, Ekwueme DU, Yabroff KR, Jemal A: Do cancer survivors change their prescription drug use for financial reasons? Findings from a nationally representative sample in the United States. Cancer. 2017 Apr 15; 2017 Feb 20. PMID: 28218801
- Peltz A, Davidoff AJ, Gross CP, Rosenthal MS: Low-Income Children With Chronic Conditions Face Increased Costs If Shifted From CHIP To Marketplace Plans. Health Aff (Millwood). 2017 Apr 1. PMID: 28373326
- Zeidan AM, Wang R, Gross CP, Gore SD, Huntington SF, Prebet T, Abel GA, Davidoff AJ, Ma X: Modest improvement in survival of patients with refractory anemia with excess blasts in the hypomethylating agents era in the United States. Leuk Lymphoma. 2017 Apr; 2016 Aug 25. PMID: 27558206
- Wang R, Zeidan AM, Yu JB, Soulos PR, Davidoff AJ, Gore SD, Huntington SF, Gross CP, Ma X: Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Acute Myeloid Leukemia After Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer: A Population-Based Study. Prostate. 2017 Apr; 2016 Nov 21. PMID: 27868212
- Stratton J, Hu X, Soulos PR, Davidoff AJ, Pusztai L, Gross CP, Mougalian SS: Bone Density Screening in Postmenopausal Women With Early-Stage Breast Cancer Treated With Aromatase Inhibitors. J Oncol Pract. 2017 Mar 7; 2017 Mar 7. PMID: 28267392
- Encinosa W, Davidoff AJ: Changes in Antiemetic Overuse in Response to Choosing Wisely Recommendations. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 27632203
- Chagpar AB, Horowitz NR, Killelea BK, Tsangaris T, Longley P, Grizzle S, Loftus M, Li F, Butler M, Stavris K, Yao X, Harigopal M, Bossuyt V, Lannin DR, Pusztai L, Davidoff AJ, Gross CP: Economic Impact of Routine Cavity Margins Versus Standard Partial Mastectomy in Breast Cancer Patients: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Ann Surg. 2017 Jan. PMID: 27192352
- Huntington SF, Davidoff AJ: High-Cost, High-Value Oral Specialty Drugs: More Evidence on the Impact of Cost Sharing in Medicare Part D. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Dec 20; 2016 Nov 14. PMID: 27998230
- Zeidan AM, Davidoff AJ, Long JB, Hu X, Wang R, Ma X, Gross CP, Abel GA, Huntington SF, Podoltsev NA, Hajime U, Prebet T, Gore SD: Comparative clinical effectiveness of azacitidine versus decitabine in older patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Sep 21. PMID: 27650975
- Miller GE, Sarpong EM, Davidoff AJ, Yang EY, Brandt NJ, Fick DM: Determinants of Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use among Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Health Serv Res. 2016 Sep 29; 2016 Sep 29. PMID: 27686781
- Wang SY, Hall J, Pollack CE, Adelson K, Davidoff AJ, Long JB, Gross CP: Associations Between End-of-Life Cancer Care Patterns and Medicare Expenditures. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2016 Aug. PMID: 27496116
- Wang SY, Hsu SH, Gross CP, Sanft T, Davidoff AJ, Ma X, Yu JB: Association between Time since Cancer Diagnosis and Health-Related Quality of Life: A Population-Level Analysis. Value Health. 2016 Jul-Aug; 2016 Apr 7. PMID: 27565280
- Zeidan AM, Wang R, Davidoff AJ, Ma S, Zhao Y, Gore SD, Gross CP, Ma X: Disease-related costs of care and survival among Medicare-enrolled patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Cancer. 2016 May 15; 2016 Mar 11. PMID: 26970288
- Fletcher SA, Cronin AM, Zeidan AM, Odejide OO, Gore SD, Davidoff AJ, Steensma DP, Abel GA: Intensity of end-of-life care for patients with myelodysplastic syndromes: Findings from a large national database. Cancer. 2016 Apr 15; 2016 Feb 23. PMID: 26914833
- Su KW, Hall J, Soulos PR, Abu-Khalaf MM, Evans SB, Mougalian SS, Rutter CE, Davidoff AJ, Gross CP: Association of 21-gene recurrence score assay and adjuvant chemotherapy use in the medicare population, 2008-2011. J Geriatr Oncol. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 17. PMID: 26704661
- Stuart BC, Davidoff AJ, Erten MZ: Changes in Medication Management After a Diagnosis of Cancer Among Medicare Beneficiaries With Diabetes. J Oncol Pract. 2015 Nov; 2015 Jun 23. PMID: 26105669
- Zeidan AM, Hendrick F, Friedmann E, Baer MR, Gore SD, Sasane M, Paley C, Davidoff AJ: Deferasirox therapy is associated with reduced mortality risk in a medicare population with myelodysplastic syndromes. J Comp Eff Res. 2015 Aug. PMID: 26274794
- Davidoff AJ, Hill SC, Bernard D, Yabroff KR: The Affordable Care Act and Expanded Insurance Eligibility Among Nonelderly Adult Cancer Survivors. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jul 1. PMID: 26134034
- Davidoff AJ, Miller GE, Sarpong EM, Yang E, Brandt N, Fick DM: Prevalence of potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults using the 2012 Beers criteria. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Mar; 2015 Mar 6. PMID: 25752646
- Davidoff AJ, Hendrick FB, Zeidan AM, Baer MR, Stuart BC, Shenolikar RA, Gore SD: Patient cost sharing and receipt of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents through medicare part D. J Oncol Pract. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 6. PMID: 25563701
- Hendrick F, Davidoff AJ, Zeidan AM, Gore SD, Baer MR: Effect of erythropoiesis-stimulating agent policy decisions on off-label use in myelodysplastic syndromes. Medicare Medicaid Res Rev. 2014; 2014 Nov 26. PMID: 25485173