James Loggins Hadler MD, MPH
Clinical Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)
health disparities, area-based socioeconomic measures, infectious diseases, vaccine effectivness, foodborne disease, influenza, Human papilloma virus, varicella
Extensive Research Description
Infectious diseases are one of the main contributors to global
mortality and morbidity. The Division of Epidemiology of Microbial
Diseases (EMD) has a tradition of both research and teaching courses
designed to understand the distribution, transmission, pathogenesis,
and ultimately the control of pathogens. A unique feature of EMD is
the strong laboratory component within an epidemiology division. Areas
of excellence include HIV/AIDS, vector biology, parasitology, molecular
epidemiology, immunology, and the modeling of infectious diseases.
- Soto K, Petit S and Hadler JL. Changing disparities in invasive pneumococcal disease by socioeconomic status and race in Connecticut, 1998-2008. Public Health Reports 2011;126 Suppl 3:81-8..
- Tam K, Yousey-Hindes K and Hadler JL. Influenza-related hospitalizations of adults associated with low census tract-level socioeconomic status and female sex in New Haven County, CT 2005-2011. (accepted for publication in Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses in January 2014, December 2013).
- Niccolai LM, Russ C, Julian PJ, Hariri S, Sinard J, Meek JI, McBride V, Markowitz LE, Unger ER, Hadler JL and Sosa LE. Individual and geographic disparities in human papillomavirus types 16/18 in high-grade cervical lesions: associations with race, ethnicity and poverty. Cancer 2013;119:3052-3058.
- Kattan J, Kudish K, Cadwell B, Soto K, and Hadler JL. Effect of vaccination coordinators on socioeconomic disparities in immunization among the 2006 Connecticut birth cohort (accepted for publication in January 2014 by AJPH, June 2013).
- France AM, Jackson M, Schrag S, Lynch M, Zimmerman C, Biggerstaff M and Hadler JL: Household transmission of novel H1N1 influenza A following a school-based outbreak in New York City. (Accepted in December 2009 for publication in JID in April 2010).
- Hadler JL, Boulton ML, Dwyer L, Chao E and Lemmings J: Assessment of epidemiology capacity in state health departments - United States 2009. MMWR 2009; 58:1373-1377.