Eugene Lee - Switzerland
World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters
Department of Health Policy and Management, Regulatory Affairs Track, Global Health Concentration at YSPH
Laurence and Judith Weiss Resource Fund
Career goal: To promote public-private partnerships in a global immunization market by maximizing its partners’ expertise and enhancing existing networks and collaborations to facilitate health intervention access.
Internshipoutline: I conducted a survey to evaluate the current activities and provide good practice approaches for building/strengthening research capacities in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The information presented in the report was obtained through structured questionnaires, direct interviews with senior medical officers and/or program-specific investigators nominated by the director of each department and published reports.
Value of experience: This internship experience allowed me to understand the current challenges in global health research promotion and the potential areas for improvements in increasing access through technology transfer and local production which are closely related to my future career goal of public-private partnership in a global immunization market.
Best moment: Besides all the weekend getaways to the Swiss Alps, the most memorable experience was attending the meeting of WHO Director-General and Member States health ministers.
Eugene Lee - World Health Organization
Showing images 0-0 of 0.
- The Palais des Nations in the heart of Europe is a focal point for multilateral diplomacy, providing key infrastructure and support to maintain international peace and security, eradicate poverty and to protect and promote human rights.
- Eugene in front of the WHO-OMS main entrance where “World Health Organization” is written in six different languages. WHO’s membership includes 193 countries and two associate members. A 34-member executive board supports the organization and six regional committees focus on regional health matters.
- A meeting with WHO Director-General, Dr. Margaret Chan, and health ministers from member states in the executive board conference room.
- The Experts for Interns lunchtime seminars are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays and provide valuable insights.
- Eugene is in her office before the start of the weekly department meeting.
- Staff members of the WHO’s Department of Public Health, Innovation, and Intellectual Property.
- Eugene (second from right) with her supervisors, Dr. Jonathan Santos and Dr. Robert Terry (to her left) and Dr. Zafar Mirza (to her right).
- Summer interns at the WHO gather for a group photo.
- People gather for a coffee break in the main lobby.
- Eugene on the WHO rooftop, a perfect spot to enjoy fresh summer breezes and the peaceful panoramic view.
- Eugene with her fellow interns in front of a well-known painting.