Chronic Disease; Epidemiology; Neoplasms; Vitamin A; Smoking Cessation; Survivors; Nutritional Sciences; Biomarkers, Pharmacological
Public Health Interests
Biomarkers; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer Survival; Dietary factors; Nutrition; Smoking/Tobacco Control; Sun Exposure; Vitamin A; Vitamin Supplements
Professor Mayne's primary research interests are in the area of nutritional epidemiology of chronic diseases, and more specifically in nutrition and cancer prevention and survivorship. She is trained in nutritional biochemistry, epidemiology, and clinical trials, and has an interest in biomarkers of nutritional status. Professor Mayne's program of research has emphasized the role of dietary factors in the etiology of several major cancers. Her work involves both observational studies and intervention trials, with a particular emphasis on carotenoids. She also studies other lifestyle factors (e.g., tobacco, alcohol, tanning) and their interaction with diet and genetics in cancer risk.
Specialized Terms: Nutritional epidemiology of chronic diseases; Nutrition and cancer prevention and survivorship; Cancer epidemiology and genetics
Extensive Research Description
- Novel, Noninvasive Biomarker of Fruit and Vegetable Intake
- Epidemiology and Genetics of Early Onset Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Epidemiologic Study of Esophageal/Gastric Adenocarcinoma (Barrett’s Esophagus and Adenocarcinoma International Consortium)
- Mayne, S. T., Ferrucci, L., and Cartmel, B. Lessons learned from randomized clinical trials of micronutrient supplements for cancer prevention. Ann. Rev. Nutr. 2012 (in press).
- Ferrucci, L. M., Cartmel, B., Molinaro, A. M., Leffell, D. J., Bale, A. E., and Mayne, S. T. Indoor tanning and risk of early-onset basal cell carcinoma. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 8 December 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2011.11.940. NIHMS339428.
- Manson, J. E., Mayne, S. T., Clinton, S. K. Vitamin D and prevention of cancer: Ready for prime time? N. Engl. J. Med. 364:1385-7, 2011[Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1056/NEJMp1102022
- Mayne, S. T., Cartmel, B., Scarmo, S., Lin, H., Leffell, D. J., Welch, E., Ermakov, I., Bhosale, P., Bernstein, P. S., and Gellermann, W.Noninvasive assessment of dermal carotenoids as a biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Oct;92(4):794-800
- Mayne, S. T., Cartmel, B., Kirsh, V. and Goodwin, W. J. Jr. Alcohol and tobacco use prediagnosis and postdiagnosis, and survival in a cohort of patients with early stage cancers of the oral cavity, pharynx, and larynx. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Dec;18(12):3368-74.
- Mayne, S. T., and Gruber, S. B. Emerging molecular technologies for identifying the risk of second cancers. Cancer Prev Res 2(7):605-607, 2009. PMCID 2733247
- Kirsh, V.A., Peters, U., Mayne, S.T., Subar, A.F., Chatterjee, N., Johnson, C.C., and Hayes, B. on behalf of the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial. Prospective Study of Fruit and Vegetable Intake and Risk of Prostate Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1200-1209, 2007.
- Mayne, S.T. and Cartmel, B. Chemoprevention of Second Cancers. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 15(11): 2033-2037, 2006.
- Kirsh, V.A., Hayes, R.B., Mayne, S.T., Chatterjee, N., Subar, A.F., Dixon, L.B., Albanes, D., Andriole, G.L., Urban, D.A., and Peters, U. Supplemental and Dietary Vitamin E, ß-Carotene, and Vitamin C Intakes and Prostate Cancer Risk. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 98(4): 245-254, 2006.
- Mayne, S.T., Risch, H.A., Dubrow, R., Chow, W-H., Gammon, M.D., Vaughan, T.L., Borchardt, L., Schoenbert, J.B., Stanford, J.L., West, A.B., Rotterdam, H., Blot, W.J., and Fraumeni, J.R., Jr. Carbonated Soft Drink Consumption and Risk of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 98(1): 72-75, 2006.
- Wright, M.E., Mayne, S.T., Stolzenberg-Solomon, R.Z., Li, Z., Pietinen, P., Taylor, P.R., Virtamo, J., and Albanes, D. Development of a Comprehensive Dietary Antioxidant Index and Application to Lung Cancer Risk in a Cohort of Male Smokers. American Journal of Epidemiology 160: 68-76, 2004.
- Carotenoids in Health and Disease, Krinsky N.I., Mayne, S.T., and Sies, H. (Eds.). Oxidative Stress and Disease Series, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 2004.
- Mayne, S.T. Antioxidant Nutrients and Chronic Disease: Use of Biomarkers of Exposure and of Oxidative Stress Status in Epidemiologic Research. Journal of Nutrition 133: 933S-940S, 2003.
- Mayne, S.T., Risch, H., Dubrow, R., Chow, W.-H., Gammon, M.D., Vaughan, T., Farrow, D.C., Schoenberg, J., Stanford, J.L., Ahsan, H., West, A.B., Rotterdam, H., Blot, W.J., and Fraumeni, J.F., Jr. Nutrient Intake and Subtypes of Esophageal and Gastric Cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention 10: 1055-1062, 2001.