Dr. Cunningham's research focuses on the fundamental determinants of health disparities and the development, implementation, and evaluation of sustainable intervention strategies that address them. She is an expert in the field of sexual and reproductive health and has extensive experience in the use of mixed methods research design, program and policy development and evaluation, working in multi-disciplinary teams, and collaborating with individuals from government, the private-sector, community-based organizations, and academic institutions.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Cunningham is currently a co-investigator on a United Health Foundation-sponsored initiative to develop and implement an innovative group prenatal care model and assess its impact on perinatal outcomes and healthcare costs.She is also leading a Health Resources and Services Administration-funded project aimed at describing patterns and identifying multi-level factors that impact variation in utilization and costs of maternity services for a nationwide sample claims data on privately-insured women held by the Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI).
- Cunningham SD, Smith A, Kershaw T, Lewis JB, Cassells A, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR. Prenatal Depressive Symptoms and Postpartum Sexual Risk Among Young Urban Women of Color. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 2015 [Epub ahead of print].
- Cunningham SD, Card JJ. Realities of replication: Implementation of evidence-based interventions for HIV prevention in real-world settings. Implementation Science 2014;9:5.
- Cunningham SD, Kerrigan DL, McNeely CA, Ellen JM. The role of structure versus individual agency in churches’ responses to HIV/AIDS: A case study of Baltimore City churches. Journal of Religion and Health 2011;50(2):407-21.
- Cunningham SD, Kerrigan DL, Jennings JM, Ellen JM. Relationships between perceived STD-related stigma, STD-related shame, and STD screening among a household sample of adolescents. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 2009;41(4):225-230.
- Geanuracos C, Cunningham SD, Weiss G, Forte D, Henry Reid LM, Ellen JM. Using geographic information systems for HIV prevention intervention planning for high-risk youth. American Journal of Public Health 2007;97(11)1974-81.
- Sarnquist CC, Cunningham SD, Sullivan B, Maldonado Y. Evaluation of the relationship between state and national policy and implementation of perinatal HIV prevention interventions. American Journal of Public Health 2007;97(6):1041-1046.