Chronic Disease; Epidemiology; Public Health; Skin Neoplasms; Tanning; Colorectal Neoplasms; Survivors
Public Health Interests
Cancer Epidemiology; Colorectal Cancer; Dietary factors; Health promotion-disease prevention; Sun Exposure
Dr. Ferrucci’s primary research interests are in elucidating modifiable causes of cancer and developing a better understanding of how cancer impacts the individual across various life domains. She focuses mainly on evaluating diet/nutrition and ultraviolet radiation in relation to cancer as well as the needs and experiences of cancer survivors, including health information needs and quality of life, in a national longitudinal study of cancer survivors. Dr. Ferrucci is currently working to translate some of her etiologic and descriptive findings into behavioral and structural interventions for individuals and communities to reduce cancer risk and impact survivorship. At present, Dr. Ferrucci is conducting both quantitative and qualitative research that will culminate in a behavioral prevention intervention to prevent indoor tanning in young people. In addition to her work on skin cancer prevention, Dr. Ferrucci is also studying sun exposure, sun protection behaviors, and indoor tanning among skin cancer survivors after their diagnosis to better understand these risk behaviors after a cancer diagnosis.
Specialized Terms: Skin cancer; indoor tanning; modifiable cancer risk factors; cancer survivorship; colorectal cancer, nutritional epidemiology
Extensive Research Description
Understanding ultraviolet radiation exposure in skin cancer survivors
Understanding and preventing indoor tanning among young adults and adolescents
Dietary meat intake and colorectal neoplasia
Needs of long-term cancer survivors
- Molinaro AM, Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Loftfield E, Leffell DJ, Bale AE, Mayne ST. Indoor Tanning and the MC1R Genotype: Risk Prediction for Basal Cell Carcinoma Risk in Young People. Am J Epidemiol. Am J Epidemiol. 2015 Apr 8. pii: kwu356. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferrucci LM, Vogel RI, Cartmel B, Lazovich D, Mayne ST. Indoor tanning in businesses and homes and risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer in two US case-control studies. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014 Nov;71(5):882-7. 2014 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cartmel B, Dewan A, Ferrucci LM, Gelernter J, Stapleton J, Mayne ST, Bale AE. Novel gene identified in an exome-wide association study of tanning dependence. Exp Dermatol. 2014 Oct;23(10):757-9. 2014 Jul 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Molinaro AM, Leffell DJ, Bale AE, Mayne ST. Tea, coffee, and caffeine and early-onset basal cell carcinoma in a case-control study. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2014 Jul;23(4):296-302.
- Cartmel B, Ferrucci LM, Spain P, Bale AE, Pagoto SL, Leffell DJ, Gelernter J, Mayne ST. Indoor tanning and tanning dependence in young people after a diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma. JAMA Dermatol. 2013 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Molinaro AM, Bale AE, Mayne ST. Indoor tanning and risk of early-onset basal cell carcinoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 Oct;67(4):552-62. 2011 Dec 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Molinaro AM, Gordon P, Leffell DJ, Bale AE, Mayne ST. Host characteristics and MC1R in relation to early-onset basal cell carcinoma. J Invest Dermatol. 2012 Apr;132(4):1272-9. 2011 Dec 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferrucci LM, Sinha R, Huang WY, Berndt SI, Katki HA, Schoen RE, Hayes RB, Cross AJ. Meat consumption and risk of incident distal colon and rectal adenoma. Br J Cancer. 2012 Jan 31;106(3):608-16. 2011 Dec 13. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferrucci LM, Sinha R, Ward MH, Graubard BI, Hollenbeck AR, Kilfoy BA, Schatzkin A, Michaud DS, Cross AJ. Meat and components of meat and risk of bladder cancer in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Cancer. 2010 Sep 15;116(18):4345-53.