Chronic Disease; Community Health Services; Epidemiology; Obesity; Pregnancy; Prenatal Care; Urban Health
Public Health Interests
Clinical Trials; Community health; Health promotion-disease prevention; Obesity; Pregnancy; Reproductive Health; Urban health
School of Public Health: Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS | Chronic Disease Epidemiology: Social & Behavioral Sciences | Community Alliance for Research and Engagement (CARE) | Connecticut Women's Health Project
Dr. Ickovics’ research investigates the interplay of complex biomedical, behavioral, social and psychological factors that influence individual and community health. She uses this lens to examine challenges faced by those often marginalized by the health care system and by society. Dr. Ickovics is an expert on maternal and child health and community health with a focus on large-scale prevention interventions. Her community-engaged research -- funded by more than $38 million dollars in grants from the National Institutes of Health, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and private foundations -- is characterized by methodological rigor and cultural sensitivity. She is the author of more than 180 peer-reviewed publications, and recipient of numerous awards for her research and community engagement.
Specialized Terms: Maternal and Child Health; Prenatal Care; Teen pregnancy and STD risk; Obesity and chronic disease prevention; Community engaged research; Interventions; Randomized controlled trials
Extensive Research Description
Grant Funding (Selected grants since 2010):
Merck for Mothers. Pregnant Women with Chronic Disease: Evaluating Community-Based Program Models (2016-2019)
Health Research Services Administration. Maternal & Child Health Research (2015-2017)
UnitedHealth Foundation. Developing a Nationally Scalable Model of Group Prenatal Care to Improve Birth Outcomes (2013-2017)
Universal Healthcare, CT Health and Donaghue Foundations. Implementation of the Affordable Care Act: "Real Time" Assessment (2013-2014)
Newman's Own Foundation. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Outreach Project (2012-2013)
The Aetna Foundation. Childhood Obesity: Exploring the Role of Environmental Context on Risk Behaviors and Health Outcomes (2011-2013)
National Institute of Child and Human Development. School Wellness Policy: RCT to Implement & Evaluate Impact on Childhood Obesity in Collaboration with New Haven Public Schools and the Rudd Center on Food Policy & Obesity (2011-2017)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hartford Teen Pregnancy Prevention: Promoting Science-Based Approaches to Teen Pregnancy Prevention Using Getting to Outcomes (2011-2014)
The Kresge Foundation, Emerging and Promising Practices. A Comprehensive Multi-Sector Approach to Improve Community Health. (2010-2013)
The Patrick and Catherine Weldon Donaghue Medical Research Foundation. Community Interventions for Health (2008-2015)
National Institute of Mental Health. Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS (CIRA) (2008-2018)
National Center for Research Resources. University-Community Interface Regarding Research and Translation/Dissemination Initiatives (2006-2011)
National Institute of Mental Health. Integrating Prenatal Care to Reduce HIV: A Translational Study (2006-2013)
- Earnshaw V, Rosenthal L, Gilstad-Hayden K, Carroll-Scott A, Kershaw T, Santilli A, Ickovics JR. Intersectional experiences of discrimination in a low-resource urban community: An exploratory latent class analysis. Journal of Community Health. (In press)
- Udo IE, Lewis JB, Tobin JM & Ickovics JR. Pregnant adolescents and intimate partner victimization: Association with health risk behaviors. American Journal of Public Health. (In press)
- Wang S, Schwartz M, Shebl F, Ickovics JR. School Breakfast and Body Mass Index: A Longitudinal Observational Study of Middle School Students. Pediatric Obesity. 17 March 2016 [e-pub ahead of print].
- Reid AE, Rosenthal L, Earnshaw VA, Lewis TT, Lewis JB, Stasko EC, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR. Discrimination and excessive weight gain during pregnancy among Black and Latina young women. Social Science and Medicine. 2016;156:134-141.
- Ickovics JR, Earnshaw V, Lewis JB, Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Stasko E, Rising, SS, Cassells A, Cunningham S, Bernstein P, Tobin JN. Group Prenatal Care: Cluster RCT of Perinatal Outcomes among Young Women in Urban Health Centers. American Journal of Public Health. 2016;106:359-365.
- Earnshaw V, Rosenthal L, Cunningham S, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Schindler-Rising S, Stasko E, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR. Exploring group composition among young, urban women of color in prenatal care: Implications for satisfaction, engagement and group attendance. Women's Health Issues. 2016;26:110-5.
- Cunningham S, Smith A, Kershaw TS, Lewis JG, Tobin JN, Cassels A & Ickovics JR. Prenatal Depressive Symptoms and Postpartum Sexual Risk among Young Urban Women of Color. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2016;29:11-17.
- Duffany KO, McVeigh KH, Kershaw TS, Lipkind H, Ickovics JR. Maternal Obesity: Risks for Developmental Delays in Early Childhood. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2016;20:219-230.
- Santilli A, Carroll-Scott A, Ickovics JR. Applying community organizing principles to assess health needs in New Haven CT. American Journal of Public Health [Government, Law and Public Health Practice]. 2016;106:841-847
- Earnshaw VA, Rosenthal L, Carroll-Scott A, Santilli A, Gilstad-Hayden K, Ickovics JR. Everyday discrimination and physical health: Exploring mental health processes. Journal of Health Psychology. 2016;26:110-115.
- Magriples U, Boynton MH, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Epel E, Rising SS, Tobin JN, Epel E, Ickovics JR. The Impact of Group Prenatal Care on Pregnancy and Postpartum Weight Trajectories. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;213:688.e1-688.e9.
- Carrion B, Earnshaw VA, Kershaw T, Lewis JB, Stasko EC, Tobin JN & Ickovics JR. Housing instability and birth weight among young urban mothers. Journal of Urban Health. 2015;92:1-9.
- Grilo SA, Earnshaw VA, Lewis JB, Stasko EC, Magriples U, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR. Food matters: Food insecurity among pregnant adolescents and infant birth outcomes. Journal of Applied Research on Children: Informing Policy for Children at Risk. 2015; volume 6: issue 2, article 4. Available: http://digitalcommons.library.tmc.edu/childrenatrisk/vol6/iss2/4.
- Novick G, Womack J, Lewis JB, Stasko E, Rising SS, Sadler L, Cunningham S, Tobin JN & Ickovics JR. Perceptions of Barriers and Facilitators to Implementing Group Prenatal Care in Six Urban Sites. Research in Nursing and Health. 2015;38:462-474.
- Carroll-Scott A, Gilstad-Hayden K, Rosenthal L, Eldahan A, McCaslin C, Peters S & Ickovics JR. Association of Neighborhood and School Socioeconomic and Social Contexts with Body Mass Index among Urban Preadolescent Students. American Journal of Public Health. 2015;105:2496-502.
- Chandler I, Gilstad-Hayden K & Ickovics JR. Adolescents Who Visit the Emergency Department Are More Likely to Make Unhealthy Dietary Choices: An Opportunity for Behavioral Intervention. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2015;26:701-711.
- Bromage W, Santilli A & Ickovics JR. Organizing with Communities to Benefit Public Health. American Journal of Public Health. 2015;105:1965-1966.
- Schwartz D, Gilstad-Hayden K, Carroll-Scott A, McCaslin C, Schwartz M & Ickovics JR. Energy drinks and youth self-reported hyperactivity/inattention symptoms. Academic Pediatrics. 2015;15:297-304.
- Schwartz M, Henderson K, Read M, Danna M & Ickovics JR. New school meal regulations increase fruit consumption and do not increase total plate waste. Childhood Obesity. 2015; 11; 242-247.
- Rosenthal L, Earnshaw VA, Lewis JB, Lewis TT, Reid AE, Stasko EC, Tobin JN & Ickovics JR. Changes in experiences of discrimination across pregnancy and postpartum: Age differences and consequences for mental health. American Journal of Public Health. 2015;105:686-93.
- Rosenthal L, Earnshaw VA, Lewis JB, Lewis TT, Reid AE, Stasko EC, Tobin JN & Ickovics JR. Discrimination and sexual risk among young urban pregnant women of color. Health Psychology. 2014;33:3-10.
- Cole-Lewis H, Earnshaw V, Kershaw TS, Yonkers K, Lin H, Ickovics JR. Pregnancy-specific Anxiety, Preterm Birth, and Gestational Age among High-risk Young Women. Health Psychology. 2014;33:1033-1045.
- Ickovics JR, Carroll-Scott A, Gilstad-Hayden K, Schwartz M, Peters S, McCaslin C. Health and Academic Achievement: Cumulative Effects of Health Assets on Standardized Test Scores among Urban Youth in the United States. Journal of School Health. 2014;84:40-48.
- Smith L, Gilstad-Hayden K, Carroll-Scott A, Ickovics JR. High waist circumference is associated with elevated blood pressure in non-Hispanic White but not Hispanic children in a cohort of pre-adolescent children. Pediatric Obesity. 2014;9:145-148.
- Ickovics JR. Museums as a Venue for Public Health Intervention. American Journal of Public Health. 2013;103:2204-2206.
- Novick G, Reid AE, Lewis JB, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Ickovics JR. Group Prenatal Care: Model Fidelity and Outcomes. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;209:112,e1-6.
- Carroll-Scott A, Rosenthal L, Gilstad-Hayden K, Ickovics JR. Disentangling Neighborhood Contextual Associations with Child Body Mass Index, Diet and Physical Activity: The Role of Built, Socioeconomic, and Social Environments. Social Science & Medicine. 2013;95:106-114.
- Kallem S, Carroll-Scott A, Rosenberg L, Chen E, Peters SM, McCaslin C, Ickovics JR. "Shift-and-Persist”: A Protective Factor for Elevated Body Mass Index among Low Socioeconomic Status Children, Obesity. 2013;21:1759-1763.
- Biello K, Kershaw TS, Niccolai L, Lin H, Ickovics JR. Racial differences in age of first sexual intercourse: can residential racial segregation explain the black-white disparity among adolescents in the United States? Public Health Reports. 2013; 128(2): 23-32.
- Magriples U, Boynton MH, Kershaw TS, Duffany KO, Rising SS, Ickovics JR. Blood Pressure Changes during Pregnancy: Impact of Race, Body Mass Index and Weight Gain. American Journal of Perinatology. 2013;30:415-424.
- Biello K, Niccolai L, Kershaw TS, Lin H, Ickovics JR. Residential racial segregation and racial differences in sexual behaviours: an 11-year longitudinal study of sexual risk of adolescents transitioning to adulthood. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2013; 67:28-34
- Santilli AC, Carroll-Scott, A, Wong F, and Ickovics JR. Urban youth go 3,000 miles: Engaging and supporting young residents to conduct neighborhood asset mapping. American Journal of Public Health. 2011;101:2207-2210.
- Ickovics JR, Reed E, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Rising SS, and Kershaw TS. Effects of group prenatal care on psychosocial risk in pregnancy: Results from a randomised controlled trial. Psychology and Health. 2011;26:235-50.
- Gould-Rothberg BE, Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Ickovics JR. Gestational weight gain and subsequent post-partum weight loss among young low-income ethnic minority women. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;204:e1-11.
- Kershaw TS, Arnold A, Lewis JB, Magriples U, Ickovics JR. The skinny on sexual risk: Effects of BMI on STI incidence and risk. AIDS and Behavior. 2011;15:1527-1538.
- Biello KB, Rawlings J, Carroll-Scott A, Browne R, Ickovics JR. Racial disparities in age of hospitalization. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2010;38:54-60.
- Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Rising SS, Ickovics JR. Pregnancy as a window of opportunity for HIV prevention: Effects of an HIV intervention delivered within prenatal care. American Journal of Public Health. 2009;99:2079-86.
- Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Westdahl C, Ickovics JR. The effects of obesity and weight gain in young women on obstetric outcomes. American Journal of Perinatology. 2009; 26:365-371.
- Meade C, Kershaw TS & Ickovics JR. The intergenerational cycle of teenage motherhood: An ecological approach. Health Psychology. 2008;27:419-429.
- Ickovics JR. “Bundling” HIV prevention: Integrating services to promote synergistic gain. Preventive Medicine. 2008;46:222-225.
- Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Massey Z, Ickovics JR. Prenatal health care beyond the obstetrics service: Utilization and predictors of unscheduled care. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008 ;198:75.e1-7.
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, Magriples U, Massey Z, Reynolds H, Rising SS. Group prenatal care and perinatal outcomes: results from a multi-site randomized controlled trial. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007; 110;330-339
- Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Westdahl C, Wang YF, Rising SS, Massey Z & Ickovics JR. Using clinical classification trees to identify individuals at risk of STDs during pregnancy. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 2007;39:141-148.