Asthma; Chronic Disease; Epidemiology; Genetics; Norway; Pre-Eclampsia; Sepsis
Public Health Interests
Asthma; Genetic epidemiology; Sepsis
Professor DeWan seeks to understand how variation in the human genome contributes to complex human diseases. Using high-throughput technologies, he conducts genome-wide association studies to map disease susceptibility loci. His work also emphasizes the development of methods that improve the way in which this information is interpreted and utilized by disease researchers. He is also interested in the role that the interaction between genetic and environmental factors plays on disease susceptibility. His past work mapping disease genes has led to the discovery of susceptibility loci for age-related macular degeneration, non-syndromic hearing loss, renal function and myopia. Current projects include a genetic study of childhood asthma in collaboration with the Yale Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemiology, a study of genetic factors predisposing women to develop preeclampsia during pregnancy in collaboration with researchers at Brown and Yale Universities, and a study of genetic susceptibility loci for sepsis in collaboration with investigators at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Specialized Terms: Genetic epidemiology; Statistical genetics; Asthma; Preeclampsia; Sepsis
Extensive Research Description
Family-specific genetic variants contributing to asthma susceptibility: 1R01HL116742, NIH/NHLBI, DeWan (PI), 01/15/13-12/31/17
Identification of associations between genetic factors and asthma that are modified by obesity: FA8650-13-2-6371, USAF/AFMC, DeWan (PI), 02/08/13 – 02/07/15
Fetal Genetic Contributions to Preeclampsia: 1R21HD070177, NIH/NICHD, Triche/DeWan (co-PIs), 04/01/12-03/31/14
Genome-wide association studies in patients with bacterial sepsis ‘GWASEPSIS’: Liaison Committee between the Central Norway Regional Health Authority (RHA) and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Damas (PI), 06/01/12 – 06/01/13
Whole-exome sequencing of a pedigree segregating asthma
DeWan AT, Egan KB, Hellenbrand K, Sorrentino K, Pizzoferrato N, Walsh KM, Bracken MB. Whole-exome sequencing of a pedigree segregating asthma. BMC Medical Genetics. 2012 Oct 9;13(1):95.
Zhao L, Triche EW, Walsch KM, Bracken MB, Saftlas AF, Hoh J, DeWan AT. Genome-wide association study identifies a maternal copy-number deletion in PSG11 enriched among preeclampsia patients. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2012. 12(1): 61.
Attempted replication of 50 reported asthma risk genes identifies SNPs in RAD50 and PTPRE as associated with childhood atopic asthma
Murk W, Walsh K, Hsu L-I, Zhao L, Bracken M, DeWan A. Attempted replication of 50 reported asthma risk genes identifies SNPs in RAD50 and PTPRE as associated with childhood atopic asthma. Human Heredity 2011. 71(2):97-105. Epub 2011 Jul 6.
PDE11A associations with asthma: results of a genome-wide association scan
DeWan A, Triche E, Xu X, Hsu L-I, Zhao C, Belanger K, et al. PDE11A associations with asthma: results of a genome-wide association scan. Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology; 2010 Oct; 126(4):871-873.
Association between reduced copy-number at T-cell receptor gamma (TCR[gamma]) and childhood allergic asthma: A possible role for somatic mosaicism
Walsh K, Bracken MB, Murk WK, Hoh J, DeWan AT. Association between reduced copy-number at T-cell receptor gamma (TCR[gamma]) and childhood allergic asthma: A possible role for somatic mosaicism. Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis; 2010 Aug 7;690(1-2):89-94.
Two genetic pathways for age-related macular degeneration
DeWan A, Bracken MB, Hoh J. Two genetic pathways for age-related macular degeneration. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2007 Jun;17(3):228-33. Epub 2007 Apr 27.
HTRA1 promoter polymorphism in wet age-related macular degeneration
DeWan A, Liu M, Hartman S, Zhang SS, Liu DT, Zhao C, Tam PO, Chan WM, Lam DS, Snyder M, Barnstable C, Pang CP, Hoh J. HTRA1 promoter polymorphism in wet age-related macular degeneration. Science. 2006 Nov 10;314(5801):989-92. Epub 2006 Oct 19.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Spracklen CN, Smith CJ, Saftlas AF, Triche EW, Bjonnes A, Keating BJ, Saxena R, Breheny PJ, Dewan AT, Robinson JG, Hoh J, Ryckman KK: Genetic predisposition to elevated levels of C-reactive protein is associated with a decreased risk for preeclampsia. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2017 Feb; 2016 Sep 22. PMID: 27657194
- Triebwasser C, Wang R, DeWan AT, Metayer C, Morimoto L, Wiemels JL, Kadan-Lottick N, Ma X: Birth weight and risk of paediatric Hodgkin lymphoma: Findings from a population-based record linkage study in California. Eur J Cancer. 2016 Dec; 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 27814470
- Murk W, DeWan AT: Genome-wide search identifies a gene-gene interaction between 20p13 and 2q14 in asthma. BMC Genet. 2016 Jul 7; 2016 Jul 7. PMID: 27387956
- Murk W, DeWan AT: Exhaustive Genome-Wide Search for SNP-SNP Interactions Across 10 Human Diseases. G3 (Bethesda). 2016 Jul 7; 2016 Jul 7. PMID: 27185397
- Wang L, Salinas YD, DeWan AT: Gene-based analysis identified the gene ZNF248 is associated with late-onset asthma in African Americans. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2016 Jul; 2016 May 27. PMID: 27238579
- Jacobs DI, Qin Q, Lerro MC, Fu A, Dubrow R, Claus EB, DeWan AT, Wang G, Lin H, Zhu Y: PIWI-Interacting RNAs in Gliomagenesis: Evidence from Post-GWAS and Functional Analyses. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016 Jul; 2016 May 13. PMID: 27197292
- Salinas YD, Wang L, DeWan AT: Multiethnic genome-wide association study identifies ethnic-specific associations with body mass index in Hispanics and African Americans. BMC Genet. 2016 Jun 13; 2016 Jun 13. PMID: 27296613
- Askim Å, Mehl A, Paulsen J, DeWan AT, Vestrheim DF, Åsvold BO, Damås JK, Solligård E: Epidemiology and outcome of sepsis in adult patients with Streptococcus pneumoniae infection in a Norwegian county 1993-2011: an observational study. BMC Infect Dis. 2016 May 23; 2016 May 23. PMID: 27216810
- Uzun A, Triche EW, Schuster J, Dewan AT, Padbury JF: dbPEC: a comprehensive literature-based database for preeclampsia related genes and phenotypes. Database (Oxford). 2016; 2016 Mar 5. PMID: 26946289
- Smith CJ, Saftlas AF, Spracklen CN, Triche EW, Bjonnes A, Keating B, Saxena R, Breheny PJ, Dewan AT, Robinson JG, Hoh J, Ryckman KK: Genetic Risk Score for Essential Hypertension and Risk of Preeclampsia. Am J Hypertens. 2016 Jan; 2015 May 23. PMID: 26002928
- Wang L, Murk W, DeWan AT: Genome-Wide Gene by Environment Interaction Analysis Identifies Common SNPs at 17q21.2 that Are Associated with Increased Body Mass Index Only among Asthmatics. PLoS One. 2015 Dec 16; 2015 Dec 16. PMID: 26672748
- Murk W, Bracken MB, DeWan AT: Confronting the missing epistasis problem: on the reproducibility of gene-gene interactions. Hum Genet. 2015 Aug; 2015 May 22. PMID: 25998948
- Spracklen CN, Saftlas AF, Triche EW, Bjonnes A, Keating B, Saxena R, Breheny PJ, Dewan AT, Robinson JG, Hoh J, Ryckman KK: Genetic Predisposition to Dyslipidemia and Risk of Preeclampsia. Am J Hypertens. 2015 Jul; 2014 Dec 17. PMID: 25523295
- Patterson VL, Zullo AJ, Koenig C, Stoessel S, Jo H, Liu X, Han J, Choi M, DeWan AT, Thomas JL, Kuan CY, Hoh J: Neural-specific deletion of Htra2 causes cerebellar neurodegeneration and defective processing of mitochondrial OPA1. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 22; 2014 Dec 22. PMID: 25531304
- Egan KB, Ettinger AS, DeWan AT, Holford TR, Holmen TL, Bracken MB: General, but not abdominal, overweight increases odds of asthma among Norwegian adolescents: the Young-HUNT study. Acta Paediatr. 2014 Dec; 2014 Sep 10. PMID: 25131148
- Hoang D, Broer N, Roman SA, Yao X, Abitbol N, Li F, Sosa JA, Sue GR, DeWan AT, Wong ML, Licinio J, Simpson C, Li AY, Pizzoferrato N, Narayan D: Leptin signaling and hyperparathyroidism: clinical and genetic associations. J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Jun; 2013 Nov 27. PMID: 24468228
- Triche EW, Uzun A, DeWan AT, Kurihara I, Liu J, Occhiogrosso R, Shen B, Parker J, Padbury JF: Bioinformatic approach to the genetics of preeclampsia. Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Jun. PMID: 24807322
- Zhao L, Bracken MB, DeWan AT: Genome-wide association study of pre-eclampsia detects novel maternal single nucleotide polymorphisms and copy-number variants in subsets of the Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome (HAPO) study cohort. Ann Hum Genet. 2013 Jul; 2013 Apr 2. PMID: 23551011
- Zhao L, Bracken MB, Dewan AT, Chen S: Association between the SERPINE1 (PAI-1) 4G/5G insertion/deletion promoter polymorphism (rs1799889) and pre-eclampsia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Mol Hum Reprod. 2013 Mar; 2012 Nov 23. PMID: 23180602
- Zhao L, Dewan AT, Bracken MB: Association of maternal AGTR1 polymorphisms and preeclampsia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012 Dec; 2012 Aug 3. PMID: 22758920
- Jacobs DI, Walsh KM, Wrensch M, Wiencke J, Jenkins R, Houlston RS, Bondy M, Simon M, Sanson M, Gousias K, Schramm J, Labussière M, Di Stefano AL, Wichmann HE, Müller-Nurasyid M, Schreiber S, Franke A, Moebus S, Eisele L, Dewan AT, Dubrow R: Leveraging ethnic group incidence variation to investigate genetic susceptibility to glioma: a novel candidate SNP approach. Front Genet. 2012 Oct 12; 2012 Oct 12. PMID: 23091480
- DeWan AT, Egan KB, Hellenbrand K, Sorrentino K, Pizzoferrato N, Walsh KM, Bracken MB: Whole-exome sequencing of a pedigree segregating asthma. BMC Med Genet. 2012 Oct 9; 2012 Oct 9. PMID: 23046476
- Zhao L, Triche EW, Walsh KM, Bracken MB, Saftlas AF, Hoh J, Dewan AT: Genome-wide association study identifies a maternal copy-number deletion in PSG11 enriched among preeclampsia patients. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2012 Jun 29; 2012 Jun 29. PMID: 22748001
- Wu C, Walsh KM, Dewan AT, Hoh J, Wang Z: Disease risk prediction with rare and common variants. BMC Proc. 2011 Nov 29; 2011 Nov 29. PMID: 22373337
- Walsh KM, Choi M, Oberg K, Kulke MH, Yao JC, Wu C, Jurkiewicz M, Hsu LI, Hooshmand SM, Hassan M, Janson ET, Cunningham JL, Vosburgh E, Sackler RS, Lifton RP, Dewan AT, Hoh J: A pilot genome-wide association study shows genomic variants enriched in the non-tumor cells of patients with well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the ileum. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2011 Feb; 2011 Jan 13. PMID: 21139019
- Murk W, Walsh K, Hsu LI, Zhao L, Bracken MB, Dewan AT: Attempted replication of 50 reported asthma risk genes identifies a SNP in RAD50 as associated with childhood atopic asthma. Hum Hered. 2011; 2011 Jul 6. PMID: 21734400
- Walsh KM, Bracken MB, Murk WK, Hoh J, Dewan AT: Association between reduced copy-number at T-cell receptor gamma (TCRgamma) and childhood allergic asthma: A possible role for somatic mosaicism. Mutat Res. 2010 Aug 7; 2010 May 27. PMID: 20553737
- DeWan AT: Five classic articles in genetic epidemiology. Yale J Biol Med. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20589189