Competencies - Preventive Medicine Track
Upon receiving an M.P.H. degree in the Advanced Professional M.P.H. Program, with a concentration in Preventive Medicine, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate the scientific merit and feasibility of epidemiologic study designs.
- Construct research hypotheses and design a study to test these hypotheses.
- Synthesize information from a variety of epidemiologic and related studies.
- Describe the appropriate statistical analyses to examine different types of epidemiologic and social and behavioral research questions.
- Identify, interpret, and use routinely collected data on disease occurrence.
- Review, critique, and evaluate epidemiologic reports and research articles at an intermediate level.
- Apply social, psychological, and behavioral theory in the design, implementation, and evaluation of prevention interventions.
- Describe the role of health behavior in disease.
- Evaluate and interpret health behavior change interventions.
- Review, interpret, and evaluate epidemiologic reports and research articles pertaining to occupational and environmental risk factors.
- Synthesize complex data sources about occupational and environmental hazards to make inferences about human risk.