Competencies - Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology Track
Upon receiving an M.P.H. degree in the Advanced Professional M.P.H. Program, with a concentration in Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology, the student will be able to:
- Develop an efficient design for collecting, recording, and storing data collected in the conduct of public health and medical research.
- Design efficient computer programs for study management, statistical analysis, as well as presentation using SAS and other programming languages.
- Produce edited data sets suitable for statistical analyses.
- Produce working tables and statistical summaries describing research in health science.
- Evaluate the scientific merit and feasibility of epidemiologic study designs.
- Synthesize information from a variety of epidemiologic and related studies.
- Design and carry out epidemiologic studies, with minimal supervision.
- Analyze data and draw appropriate inferences from epidemiologic studies at an intermediate to advanced level, using a variety of analytical tools.
- Review, critique, and evaluate epidemiologic reports and research articles, as well as the broader health sciences literature, at an intermediate level, using principles of epidemiology and biostatistics.
- Develop written presentations based on intermediate to advanced statistical and epidemiologic analyses for both public health professionals and educated lay audiences.