Frequently Asked Questions

If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, you are eligible to apply for financial aid for the academic year. Determination of your eligibility for need based aid is dependent upon your FAFSA results and the YSPH Financial Aid Application. All US Citizens and Permanent Residents applying to YSPH should file an application for financial aid by the March 1st deadline, regardless of your admissions status. If you are an international applicant, you are not eligible for financial aid for the academic year. However, you can apply for a private loan with a credit-worthy cosigner.
No. YSPH is need blind. Applying for financial aid and having financial need in no way affects our decision to offer you admission.

Yes. Prospective Students: December 1 for priority admission or March 1.

Current Students: April 1

We will still consider your Financial Aid Application. However, students whose Financial Aid Application becomes complete after the deadline will be considered for grants based on the availability of funds.

No, but you must complete and submit all three components to be considered for need based aid. And be certain to include the Yale University code 001426 on the FAFSA.

If you are a US citizen or permanent resident, you must submit the FAFSA and YSPH Financial Aid Application. When completing the FAFSA it is preferred that you utilize the new Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to upload your tax information directly into the FAFSA from the IRS web site. DRT is available to you about 2 weeks after you complete an electronic tax return or 8 weeks after you complete a paper return.

If you are an international student, you must submit the YSPH Financial Aid Application for International Students.

Please see How to Apply for more information.

While international applicants are eligible for scholarship assistance, by itself this assistance is seldom, if ever sufficient to secure an I-20. For this reason you will need to provide documentation that you have enough funds to cover your educational and living expenses while at Yale. Documentation could be in the form of bank statements.
Once the Financial Aid Office receives all the necessary documentation, the I-20 will be requested from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). When the I-20 is ready, the financial aid office will send it to you via Federal Express. The I-20 is not issued more than 3 months prior to the start of the semester.
When you receive your I-20 you should make an appointment with the consulate in your country to request the visa. Canadian students may secure their visa at the border.
Yes, if you can provide enough evidence of financial support for their well-being we are able to request F-2 visas for them. You will need to provide the financial aid office with their names, dates of birth, country of birth and country of citizenship.
Yes, you will be able to work on campus only by the terms of your visa.
No, by the terms of the F-2 visa spouses are not eligible to work on or off campus.

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) has developed their website to include information about types of visas, Yale, New Haven and living in the United States.

You must print, accept, sign, date and return your financial aid award letter and Authorization to Process Stafford Loans form by the date indicated to:   

YSPH Office of Financial Aid   

Shortly thereafter, you will receive notification from your lender to electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN).

  • You will need to complete your entrance interview just prior to matriculation. After completion, you will be able to view your Yale Student Account and see the appropriate financial postings.
Yes, you must file a new Financial Aid Application each year and a new financial aid award, based on increases or decreases in your demonstrated need, will be sent to you.
  • YSPH scholarships, work study, and Federal Direct Loans are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
  • Federal Student Loans (Unsubsidized) – These loans are not based on financial need and must be repaid. Unsubsidized loans begin accruing interest from disbursement.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans – These are credit based loans. These loans are not based on financial need and must be repaid. Grad Plus Loans begin accruing interest from disbursement. Anyone applying for a credit based loan should check their credit report in advance of submitting a loan application.
  • Private/Alternative Loans – These are credit based loans and you must apply separately to a lender. You may be required to have a co-signer. Anyone applying for a credit based loan should check their credit report in advance of submitting a loan application.
  • Need based YSPH Grants – These named grants are awarded from the Financial Aid Office based on need. They are awarded to admitted students on a first come first served basis. Applications completed after the March 1st deadline may not be eligible for these awards. These awards are not repaid.
  • Scholarships – These scholarships are awarded from the Admissions Committee. Applicants DO NOT need to fill out additional forms to be eligible for scholarship however, because some are awarded on need and merit applications completed after the March 1st deadline may not be considered for these awards. A separate letter will be sent to the recipient from the Admissions Office. These awards are not repaid.

International students are eligible for limited merit-based scholarships and can apply, with a credit-worthy U.S. cosigner, for loans from a private lender.  International Students are NOT eligible for need-based scholarships from YSPH.

The primary factor is financial need as determined by our review of your (and your spouse’s, if applicable) income and assets and any third party funding that you expect to receive. As a graduate and professional student, we consider you to be financially independent of your parents. Therefore, we do not require information about their income and assets.
As long as you are enrolled full-time, you may receive scholarships and loans. Part-time students are eligible for loans and may receive prorated scholarships.
About 74% of our students receive some form of financial aid.
There is no separate application for Merit Scholarships, they are based on your application for admission and determined by the YSPH Admissions Committee.
Yes, you may check the Student Employment web site at There are usually more jobs on campus than students to fill them, once you find a job you may check with the financial aid office for Federal Work Study eligibility.

Yes, studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments are available. You may visit the Graduate Housing website for more information and a link to the online application.

Your student account is established for you automatically once you matriculate (i.e., accept our offer of admission). Yale charges your tuition and other fees to this account. For additional information see Student Accounts.
Though account statements are generated monthly, the most important statements are those available during the first week of July (tuition bill for the fall semester) and November (tuition bill for the spring semester). If you do not pay your tuition bill by the first business day of the following month, you will be charged a late payment fee of $125 per month (up to $375 per semester) and will not be able to register for classes until the bill is paid. For additional information see Billing Information.