Public Health Interests
Chronic Conditions; Pregnancy; Psychosocial risk factors; Reproductive Health; Social determinants of health
Obesity Research Working Group
Dr. Cunningham's research focuses on the fundamental determinants of health disparities and the development, implementation, and evaluation of sustainable intervention strategies that address them. She is an expert in the field of sexual and reproductive health and has extensive experience in the use of mixed methods research design, program and policy development and evaluation, working in multi-disciplinary teams, and collaborating with individuals from government, the private-sector, community-based organizations, and academic institutions.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Cunningham is currently the Principal Investigator for an evaluation, funded by Merck for Mothers, on the use of community health workers to improve outcomes among pregnant women with chronic disease in three United States cities and a First Five Fresno initiative to implement group prenatal care in Fresno, California. She is also a co-investigator on a United Health Foundation-sponsored initiative to develop and implement an innovative group prenatal care model and assess its impact on perinatal outcomes and healthcare costs. Past projects include a Health Resources and Services Administration-funded study aimed at describing patterns and identifying multi-level factors that impact variation in utilization and costs of maternity services for a nationwide sample claims data on privately-insured women held by the Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI).
Association between maternal comorbidities and emergency department use among a national sample of commercially-insured women
Cunningham SD, Magriples U, Thomas JL, Kozhimannil KB, Herrera CN, Barrette E, Shebl F, Ickovics JR. Association between Maternal Comorbidities and Emergency Department Use among a National Sample of Commercially-insured Pregnant Women. Academic Emergency Medicine 2017; 24(8):940-947.
Maternal medical complexity: Impact on prenatal health care spending among women at low-risk for cesarean section
Cunningham SD, Herrera C, Udo I, Kozhimannil K, Barrette E, Magriples U, Ickovics. Maternal medical complexity: Impact on prenatal health care spending among women at low-risk for cesarean section. Women’s Health Issues 2017; 27(5):551-558.
Prenatal Depressive Symptoms and Postpartum Sexual Risk Among Young Urban Women of Color
Cunningham SD, Smith A, Kershaw T, Lewis JB, Cassells A, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR. Prenatal Depressive Symptoms and Postpartum Sexual Risk Among Young Urban Women of Color. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 2016;29(1):11-7.
Realities of replication: Implementation of evidence-based interventions for HIV prevention in real-world settings
Cunningham SD, Card JJ. Realities of replication: Implementation of evidence-based interventions for HIV prevention in real-world settings. Implementation Science 2014;9:5.
The role of structure versus individual agency in churches’ responses to HIV/AIDS: A case study of Baltimore City churches
Cunningham SD, Kerrigan DL, McNeely CA, Ellen JM. The role of structure versus individual agency in churches’ responses to HIV/AIDS: A case study of Baltimore City churches. Journal of Religion and Health 2011;50(2):407-21.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Cunningham SD, Magriples U, Thomas JL, Kozhimannil KB, Herrera C, Barrette E, Shebl FM, Ickovics JR: Association Between Maternal Comorbidities and Emergency Department Use Among a National Sample of Commercially Insured Pregnant Women. Acad Emerg Med. 2017 Aug; 2017 Jun 12. PMID: 28471532
- Felder JN, Epel E, Lewis JB, Cunningham SD, Tobin JN, Rising SS, Thomas M, Ickovics JR: Depressive symptoms and gestational length among pregnant adolescents: Cluster randomized control trial of CenteringPregnancy® plus group prenatal care. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2017 Jun; 2017 Mar 13. PMID: 28287802
- Cunningham SD, Lewis JB, Thomas JL, Grilo SA, Ickovics JR: Expect With Me: development and evaluation design for an innovative model of group prenatal care to improve perinatal outcomes. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017 May 18; 2017 May 18. PMID: 28521785
- Cunningham SD, Grilo S, Lewis JB, Novick G, Rising SS, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR: Group Prenatal Care Attendance: Determinants and Relationship with Care Satisfaction. Matern Child Health J. 2017 Apr. PMID: 27485493
- Cunningham SD, Herrera C, Udo IE, Kozhimannil KB, Barrette E, Magriples U, Ickovics JR: Maternal Medical Complexity: Impact on Prenatal Health Care Spending among Women at Low Risk for Cesarean Section. Womens Health Issues. 2017 Sep - Oct; 2017 Apr 15. PMID: 28420558
- Ickovics JR, Earnshaw V, Lewis JB, Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Stasko E, Rising SS, Cassells A, Cunningham S, Bernstein P, Tobin JN: Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial of Group Prenatal Care: Perinatal Outcomes Among Adolescents in New York City Health Centers. Am J Public Health. 2016 Feb; 2015 Dec 21. PMID: 26691105
- Earnshaw VA, Rosenthal L, Cunningham SD, Kershaw T, Lewis J, Rising SS, Stasko E, Tobin J, Ickovics JR: Exploring Group Composition among Young, Urban Women of Color in Prenatal Care: Implications for Satisfaction, Engagement, and Group Attendance. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Jan-Feb; 2015 Nov 3. PMID: 26542382
- Novick G, Womack JA, Lewis J, Stasko EC, Rising SS, Sadler LS, Cunningham SC, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR: Perceptions of Barriers and Facilitators During Implementation of a Complex Model of Group Prenatal Care in Six Urban Sites. Res Nurs Health. 2015 Dec; 2015 Sep 4. PMID: 26340483
- Cunningham SD, Card JJ: Realities of replication: implementation of evidence-based interventions for HIV prevention in real-world settings. Implement Sci. 2014 Jan 6; 2014 Jan 6. PMID: 24387142
- Card JJ, Cunningham SD, Newman EN, Golden RE: Update and expansion of the HIV/AIDS prevention program archive (HAPPA). J Clin Res HIV AIDS Prev. 2013; 2013 Sep 24. PMID: 28781971
- Andrinopoulos K, Clum G, Murphy DA, Harper G, Perez L, Xu J, Cunningham S, Ellen JM, Adolescent Medicine Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions.: Health related quality of life and psychosocial correlates among HIV-infected adolescent and young adult women in the US. AIDS Educ Prev. 2011 Aug. PMID: 21966746
- Cunningham SD, Kerrigan DL, McNeely CA, Ellen JM: The role of structure versus individual agency in churches' responses to HIV/AIDS: a case study of Baltimore City churches. J Relig Health. 2011 Jun; 2009 Aug 28. PMID: 19714469
- Card JJ, Solomon J, Cunningham SD: How to adapt effective programs for use in new contexts. Health Promot Pract. 2011 Jan; 2009 Oct 26. PMID: 19858321
- Cunningham SD, Kerrigan DL, Jennings JM, Ellen JM: Relationships between perceived STD-related stigma, STD-related shame and STD screening among a household sample of adolescents. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2009 Dec. PMID: 20444177
- Deeds BG, Castillo M, Beason Z, Cunningham SD, Ellen JM, Peralta L, Adolescent Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions.: An HIV prevention protocol reviewed at 15 national sites: how do ethics committees protect communities? J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. 2008 Jun. PMID: 19385747
- Geanuracos CG, Cunningham SD, Weiss G, Forte D, Reid LM, Ellen JM: Use of geographic information systems for planning HIV prevention interventions for high-risk youths. Am J Public Health. 2007 Nov; 2007 Sep 27. PMID: 17901452
- Sarnquist CC, Cunningham SD, Sullivan B, Maldonado Y: The effectiveness of state and national policy on the implementation of perinatal HIV prevention interventions. Am J Public Health. 2007 Jun; 2007 Apr 26. PMID: 17463383
- Cunningham SD, Meyers T, Kerrigan D, Ellen JM: Psychosocial factors influencing the disclosure of sexually transmissible infection diagnoses among female adolescents. Sex Health. 2007 Mar. PMID: 17382038
- Cunningham SD, Kerrigan D, Pillay KB, Ellen JM: Understanding the role of perceived severity in STD-related care-seeking delays. J Adolesc Health. 2005 Jul. PMID: 15963909
- Cunningham SD, Michaud JM, Johnson SM, Rompalo A, Ellen JM: Phase-specific network differences associated with the syphilis epidemic in Baltimore city, 1996-2000. Sex Transm Dis. 2004 Oct. PMID: 15388999
- Lane MA, Cunningham SD, Ellen JM: The intention of adolescents to carry a knife or a gun: a study of low-income African-American adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2004 Jan. PMID: 14706408