Yale School of Medicine was established following passage of a bill in the Connecticut General Assembly in 1810 granting a charter for the Medical Institution of Yale College, to be conducted under the joint supervision of the college and the Connecticut Medical Society. The institution—America’s sixth medical school—was formally opened in 1813, and the first degrees were conferred the following year. In 1884, with the approval of the Medical Society, the original charter was amended to place the school definitely in the control of the college as the Medical Department of Yale College. The name Yale College was changed to Yale University in 1887, and the name of the medical school was automatically changed.
Shortly after the establishment of the School, members of its faculty and physicians in the state joined with other citizens in raising funds for a hospital in New Haven to provide, among other services, clinical facilities for the instruction of medical students. The outcome of these efforts was the incorporation of the General Hospital Society of Connecticut in 1826, and the opening of the New Haven Hospital in 1832. The New Haven Dispensary was founded in 1872 and later became a division of the New Haven Hospital.
A merger was effected in 1945 between the New Haven Hospital and Grace Hospital to form the Grace–New Haven Community Hospital. The affiliation agreement between the hospital and University was revised in 1965 and the name of the institution changed to Yale–New Haven Hospital (YNHH). In 1999, a separate affiliation agreement was adopted by the University and the Yale New Haven Health System.
Today, the Yale School of Medicine is one of the world’s leading institutions for biomedical research, education, and advanced clinical care. It enrolls 100 students annually, from an applicant pool of more than 4,000, and has produced leaders in nearly every field of academic medicine. It ranks fifth among medical schools receiving funds from the National Institutes of Health and the faculty ranks first in NIH funding on a per capita basis.