Yale School of Medicine was established following passage of a bill in the Connecticut General Assembly in 1810 granting a charter for the Medical Institution of Yale College, to be conducted under the joint supervision of the college and the Connecticut Medical Society. The institution—America’s sixth medical school—was formally opened in 1813, and the first degrees were conferred the following year. (Photo Credit: Cushing/Whitney Medical Library)
Abraham Flexner revolutionized American medicine with his 1910 report to the Carnegie Foundation, in which he identified Yale and Harvard as the only two medical schools in New England worth preserving. Influenced by Flexner’s report, the Yale Corporation redoubled its support of the medical school and formalized its relationship with New Haven Hospital as the school’s primary teaching hospital. (Photo Credit: March of Dimes)
Significant infrastructure investments in recent years assure that the medical school’s contributions to biomedical science will continue. In 2003, the 457,000-square-foot Anlyan Center for Medical Research and Education was dedicated, increasing research space at the medical school by 25 percent. (Photo Credit: Photograph by Michael Marsland)
Medicine at Yale, 1810–2010, the first of three Bicentennial online exhibits, is an update of a Yale Tercentennial exhibit that was on display in the rotunda of the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library in 2000.