A. The process of on-boarding a new physician involves many steps starting months prior to the physician's arrival at Yale Medical Group (YMG). The steps involved include: the hiring appointment process, credentialing, department/section administrative tasks, and the physician's responsibilities on the first day of employment.
B. Faculty Hiring Appointment Process (EXHIBIT A)
- The faculty hiring appointment process is coordinated among the hiring department, the Office of the Deputy Dean of Academic and Scientific Affairs, and the Office for Faculty Affairs.
- The process is divided into four categories:
a. Selection and hiring of ladder faculty
b. Selection and hiring of non-ladder faculty
c. Selection and hiring of clinicians
d. Academic appointment process for ladder faculty
- For faculty hiring appointment questions, physicians should contact the Yale School of Medicine Office for Faculty Affairs (203-785-4670 or email@example.com).
C. Credentialing (EXHIBIT B)
- In order for physicians to begin their clinical practice, they must be approved for credentialing by YMG Credentialing and Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH) Department of Physician Services.
- Physicians should be advised of credentialing as soon as possible since credentialing takes approximately 20-30 weeks if arriving outside of CT without any documents, 4-6 weeks if only missing YNHH privileges, or 1-2 weeks if they have YNHH privileges and all other documents.
- For credentialing questions, contact Virginia Castaneda (203-785-7998 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
D. Department/Section Administration Responsibilities (EXHIBIT C)
- The business office within the department or section will be responsible for assisting the new physician prior to arrival.
- Some areas where the business office will be providing assistance to incoming physicians include the following areas:
b. Computer system access
d. Billing and purchasing
E. Physician's First Day of Employment (EXHIBIT D)
- Physicians should visit their department or section business office during their first day on campus to complete several responsibilities, such as the following (click here for more details):
a. Completing the I-9 form, Employment Eligibility Verification
b. Signing up for health benefits
c. Completing the Training Management System (TMS) survey
d. Obtaining a parking permit
e. Getting Yale University and YNHH IDs
f. Scheduling a portrait photo