The Credentialing Process

In today's managed care environment, it is necessary for a provider to be credentialed in order to be correctly reimbursed for clinical services. YM has a centralized credentialing process.

1. Obtain Medical License from the State of Connecticut

Contact the State of CT Department of Public Health at (860) 509-7563 to request a paper application or go to to download an application. Licenses are issued weekly and require annual renewal.

2. Obtain State of Connecticut Controlled Substance Registration (CSR) Certificate

Contact the Department of Consumer Protection Drug Control Division at (860) 713-6065 to request a paper application or go to to download an application or online. You must have your CT state medical license in order to obtain this certificate. If you do not have a CT state medical license you should apply for the controlled substance registration certificate and state license at the same time so the CSR will be granted within a day or two of your state license. Processing time is two to three weeks and the certificate requires biennial renewal.

3. Obtain a Federal DEA Certificate

Contact the local DEA Office at (860) 240-3700 to request a paper application or go to the DEA website,, to download an application or apply online. You must have your state medical license and your state controlled substance registration certificate in order to obtain the DEA certificate. Your DEA certificate should have a CT address. Processing time is four -six weeks and certificates are valid for three years.

4. Obtain Clinical Privileges

Information about joining the Bridgeport Hospital, Greenwich Hospital, and/or Yale New Haven Hospital medical staff can be found at or by calling the Department of Physician Services at 203-688-2615.

5. Obtain listing on the University's malpractice insurance roster

The Managed Care Coordinator in your department will contact the Legal Affairs office at Yale University prior to your arrival. They will advise Legal Affairs of your name and start date, and Legal Affairs will proceed to create an Advice of Insurance for you. This process takes three to four weeks to complete.

6. Apply for your National Provider Identification number

Apply for your National Provider Identification (NPI) number, as required by The Administrative Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), at

Obtaining Your Billing Provider Numbers

YM physicians must complete the Universal Credentialing Application in its entirety to receive a Yale billing number, Medicare provider number, and Medicaid provider number.

For questions or to check the status of your application, contact your Managed Care Coordinator

Click here to download the UCA.