WHRY Tenth Anniversary Celebration
November 6, 2008
On November 6, 2008, new and longstanding members of the Society of Friends of Women’s Health Research at Yale gathered to celebrate our Tenth Anniversary and honor the Founding Members of WHRY. Over 60 guests attended the event. Co-sponsored in part by the Women Faculty Forum.
An Evening with Judy Collins
September 20, 2006
Judy Collins performed to a sold out audience to benefit research on women's health and raise awareness regarding the mission and accomplishments of Women's Health Research at Yale.
Women of Vision Award Dinner
Our Women of Vision Award event, From Vision to Innovation: Women's Health Research at Yale, honors members of the community who have demonstrated an outstanding and abiding commitment to improving the health of women.
Honorees: Gloria Steinem, American journalist and leader in the women's rights movement; and Roslyn Milstein Meyer, co-founder of the Leadership, Education and Athletic Partnership (LEAP) and co-founder of New Haven's International Festival of Arts and Ideas.
2005 Honorees: Gloria Steinem, American journalist and leader in the women's rights movement; and Roslyn Milstein Meyer, co-founder of the Leadership, Education and Athletic Partnership (LEAP) and co-founder of New Haven's International Festival of Arts and Ideas.
Our biennial conferences draw several hundred participants from across Connecticut and neighboring states. These conferences provide new data on women’s health and feature prominent individuals as “Women of Vision” who have made significant contributions to women’s health. Our most recent conference, with over 500 in attendance, honored Roslyn Milstein Meyer, Ph.D., and Gloria Steinem as our 2005 “Women of Vision.”
2003 Honorees: Mary B. Arnstein, Professor of Psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine, active member of the Yale community and the New Haven community, and an inaugural founder of the Community Fund for Women and Girls; and Diane L. Wishnafski, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Business Banking Division of New Haven Savings Bank, and active member of the New Haven community.
The Women’s Health Research at Yale Champion Award is reserved for Congressional leaders who have demonstrated an abiding commitment to improving the health of women and who, through their actions and accomplishments, have made a difference in our lives.
2006 Award Winners
- U.S. Representative Rosa L. DeLauro
- U.S. Representative Nancy L. Johnson
Past Workshops - 2010 to Present
April 2013 - Grand RoundsDepartment of Psychiatry Grand Rounds - Annual Women's Behavioral Health Division Presentation
- Click here to watch Dr. Yonkers's April 5th presentation, provided by the Department of Psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine.
May 2012 - Grand RoundsDepartment of Psychiatry Grand Rounds - Annual Women's Behavioral Health Division Presentation
- Click here to watch Dr. Maki's May 25th presentation, provided by the Department of Psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine.
April 2012 - Workshop
"Exploring the Relevance of Gene-Environment Interactions Research"
The goal of this workshop was to bring together social scientists and biological scientists for presentations that illustrate how population data have implications for the study of gene-environment interactions. Presentations focused on the study of stress, self control, and addictive behaviors. Sponsored by the Interdisciplinary Research Consortium on Stress, Self-Control and Addictive Behaviors, Yale Stress Center
May 2011 - Grand Rounds
Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds - Annual Women's Behavioral Health Division Presentation
"Depression and Heart Disease: Is There Gender-Specific Risk?"
- Viola Vaccarino, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Professor, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Emory University
- Click here to watch Dr. Vaccarino's 2011 presentation, provided by the Department of Psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine.
October 2010 - Inaugural "Point-Counterpoint""Immune Therapy of Ovarian Cancer: Developing Novel Approaches"
- Francine Foss, M.D., Professor of Medicine
"Do current findings indicate it is time for a Phase 1 Clinical Trial?"
- Richard Edelson, M.D., Chair & Professor, Dermatology
"Heart Disease among Women with Diabetes"
- Barbara I. Gulanski, M.D., Associate Professor, Section of Endocrinology & Metabolism
April 2010"Women and Smoking Cessation: Do Hormones Count?"
- Grand Rounds Speaker: Sharon Allen, M.D., Ph.D., Professor, Family Medicine & Community Health, University of Minnesota
"Calcium and Cognition: Does Parathyroidectomy Have an Impact?"
- Sanziana Roman, M.D., FACS, Asst Prof & Chief, Endocrine/Gen Surg & Julie Ann Sosa, M.D., Assoc Prof, Endocrine and Oncologic/Gen Surg
"Risk of Reproductive Exposures in Industrial Workers"
- Oyebode Taiwo, M.D., M.P.H., Associate Professor of Medicine, Director, Occupational & Environmental Medicine Fellowship Training
"Building New Models for Predicting Outcomes in Patients with Cancer"
- Harriet Kluger, M.D., Associate Professor of Internal Medicine (Oncology)