Opthalmology Case Study
To Inquire about a ReviewContact Justin Navarro for more information.
Overview of Project
During the course of the yearly site review for the Ophthalmology department (under the terms of the Web Editing Service) we discovered that there were several potential opportunities for improvement to the site. The site was reviewed in accordance with the structure on the Website Review Overview and the resulting document was given to the Ophthalmology Department for review. They brought back a few points for clarification and after talking with them it was decided to implement the changes on the site. Several sections of the site were overhauled and condensed in order to be more user-friendly.
A brief list of the major areas affected (non-comprehensive):
- Top Navigation changed to combine "Patient Care" and "Patient & Visitor Guide" for ease of access.
- The Home Page was reworked to increase visibility and call to action.
- The Education section was reorganized to include Training and the fellowships were highlighted in a more clear, and immediately actionable, manner.
In order to explain some of the main points we have included a brief side-by-side comparison of the Education Section's main page (between the old and new version) highlighting some of the changes that were undertaken.
Showing images 0-0 of 0.
Education Before & After Comparison
It is important to note 3 things:
- The length of the content on the old page makes it difficult to navigate
- The new page has more color and targeted calls to action
- Though it can't be seen in this size of an image, the main content was reworked to correlate to the specific fellowships
The faculty was in the upper right hand corner, which can work in many cases but unbalances this particular page. The faculty profile was also not making use of the headshots available from the profile system.
In revising how the faculty are being displayed on the page we decided to move them to directly underneath the main content in order to balance the page in conjunction with the number of calls to action in the right hand column of the page.
The original page had a list of programs at the bottom of the page. This approach is acceptable in certain situations but did not interact with the rest of the content on the page in a meaningful way.
Additionally, the schedule for upcoming events is tacked on at the end without any reference to what it is or why the visitor should check it out.
The additional information at the bottom of the page in the original was broken out into more specific sections and organized along the right side of the page.
This allows for easier directions to specific information, as well as a faster call to action by visitors.