When you want to publish, select (but do not open) the page in your root folder. Click the "Publish" button. To see the status of your item, click on "Publishing Queue."
1) How to publish pages to the preview and/or live servers
Any changes you make in Tridion will not affect your site on the web until you publish. Publishing takes the latest saved versions of a page and any components on that page and updates the information currently on your site.
- Go the Root folder of your site, and locate the page you'd like to update.
- Select the page that you want to publish (click the page once so it is highlighted in blue).
- Click the Publish button in the home tab at the top.
- Select the Preview/SiteEdit server and/or the Live server.
- The difference between the two servers is described below.
- To view the page or pages you've published, load the page of your website that you've updated in your browser. If you had the page open before publishing, you'll have to use the browser Refresh or Reload button to see the updated page.
Publishing to Preview
- After you've finished building or editing your site, you have the option to preview how your changes will look prior to going "live." Each publication can be tested on the staging server by publishing to preview and then visiting the preview URL beginning with: "preview.yale.edu..."
- If you are currently looking at the live version of your site which starts with "medicine.yale.edu" in the URL, you can access the preview version of the page by replacing "medicine" in the URL with "preview."
- If your site has already been published and you cannot determine the preview URL, click here to see a full listing of preview URLs.
- The general public does not have access to the preview/staging server. Only users on the Yale network or using Yale VPN can view the preview server.
- If necessary, links to pages on the preview server can be sent to a colleague or supervisor for review before publishing changes to the live server which is available to the public.
If you publish to the live server, whatever you selected to be published will be available for the public to see! The live server URL for your site starts with: "medicine.yale.edu..."
- Steps for publishing to the live server are the same for publishing to preview. The exception, of course, is that you would select "Live" in the publishing window instead of "Preview." See the steps below that detail how to publish to preview.
- Whenever you publish to the live server, you should also check off and publish to preview as well. This will prevent your preview site from becoming out of date.
- Only go "live" when you're ready and have received necessary approvals from those in your department who are involved with the site.
Unless making a very small change, such as fixing a typo, it is strongly recommended that you publish to the preview server prior to publishing live in the event that the page does not look exactly like you want it to. This way you can review your changes before affecting the publicly accessible site