1) How to work within Tridion's top navigation and ribbon
2) What each of the tabs allow you to do
Understanding Tridion's main navigation areas will help clarify how using Tridion is different than browsing other sites you typically view on the internet.
Top Navigation and Ribbon
After signing in, you will see the Tridion tool ribbon appear directly below the address bar (where you enter URL addresses). The various button functions are categorized into tabs (like Office 2010). The following are the buttons that will be the most useful for editing in Tridion:
- Open- The "Open" button opens the currently selected folder, structure group, page or content item. You can also double-click items in the development pane to open them.
- Where Used- Displays which components and/or pages use the selected item. You can also use Where Used to see which server(s) a page is published to.
- Properties- This button is used to edit component folders and structure groups, which normally would display their contents when double-clicked.
- Delete- Deletes a selected item. Pages cannot be deleted if they are published. Components cannot be deleted if they are used on any page. Deleting items is generally discouraged since they cannot be recovered..
- History- Displays the version history for a component or page. A new version is created whenever a component or page is edited and saved.
- Check-in, Check-out- Checking out an item restricts others from using it. Items are automatically checked-out when opened and checked-in when saved.
- Publish/Unpublish- Publishing a page will add or update it on a website, unpublishing will remove a page from the web completely. You can publish to a preview/staging server or a live server.
- Publishing Queue- Allows you to check the status of published/unpublished items.
The Create Tab will list different items depending on whether the currently selected area in the Development Page is within the Building Blocks or Structure Group/Root Folders.
In the Building Blocks Folder
- New Component- Opens a window to create a new component. After opening the submenu (bottom half of the button), click "New Component" again for a standard component or "New Multimedia Component" for images, videos, documents, etc.
- New Folder- Opens a window to create a new component (yellow) folder.
- New Virtual Folder- Virtual folders are generally not used.
In the Structure Group/Root Folder
- New Page- Opens a window to create a new page.
- New Structure Group- Opens a window to create a new structure group (pink folder).
Other TabsThere are other tabs in the Tridion tool ribbon, but they contain administrator functions which are not necessary for normal website edits.
"Browsing" through Tridion
As Tridion is like not a typical "website," you cannot scroll or browse through Tridion the way you would with another website. To get from one item to another, whether this be a component, page, or structure group, you must do so through the left column on the Publications Pane or when in the Development Pane after selecting a publication. You can expand and collapse folders in the Publication Pane to find specific folders, but individual components and pages will only display in the Development Pane.
Do not click any of your browser's buttons (forward, backward, refresh/reload) while you are viewing a tab/window with Tridion open, as this can cause you to lose your place in Tridion and possibly lose unsaved work.